Reefer/Trailer Mfg with best resale

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by SteveScott, Aug 19, 2018.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I'm in the process of getting a new truck and trailer. The choices on trailers is daunting and I'm trying to figure out which way to go. The bulk of my jobs will be chilled and not frozen, but I expect to occasionally be hauling some frozen loads so I'll need a trailer that will handle sub-zero well. I'll be working the west coast so I won't be running coast to coast with frozen loads, or spending a lot of time in the south with extreme heat. I want to know what the better trailer manufacturers are with the best reefer units. I figure I have at least a good 10 years left in me, so I also want to know which trailers hold up the best and have the highest resale value when I'm ready to get out. Most of the new trailers I'm looking at are running in the $68k to $75k range here in California. That's loaded with auto-inflators, air release pins, side skirts and on board scales.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
  4. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    Great Dane or Utility, both have a slew of options. And both look good going down the road. I’ve also noticed a lot of grocery fleets who have made the switch to an upscale reefers, many used to buy cheap reefers. Resale is also a factor to consider.
    Good Luck!

SteveScott Thanks this.
  5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Great Dane, Wabash as a second choice.

Was never impressed with Utility.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Anybody ever pulled a Hyundai before? I see a couple dealers out here advertise a lot of them.

7. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    only pulled the vans

8. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    That's funny, I was never impressed by Wabash. I liked the value of the Utility above the others.

KB3MMX and brsims Thank this.
  9. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Utility is sometimes hard to close, not sure how one would be with a roll door.

Truckload or multi zone is another question.

poppapump1332 Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Great Dane.

There is no second best or any other choices. If I had money in the pocket to buy a trailer of my very own reefer outright. Im going Great Dane first, then Thermo Cool second. Spread axle third and aluminum wheels and ABS 4th and 5th in that order.

11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    ABS isn't optional. Thermo King units are what I would prefer, too. No on the spread unless you have a reason to load heavy in the back, California pooched that for 53s.

There's at least three builds, standard, extra light (XLT), and Everest, with the latter being best insulated, strongest and heaviest.

Don't see too many other than Everest not carrying the Super Seal label. That's probably standard on Everest.

KB3MMX and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.