Remaining on-duty in a "state of readiness"...

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Scooter Jones, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Casual Trucker

Casual Trucker Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2012
    That is way I would rather stay in a Motel During this time so I don't get in argument with some idiot with a badge.
    I had a Police officer in MA. tell me that he can't talk to me about directions until I go back to my truck and put a Steel Toe Boots On????????????
    What does That have to do with anything Like getting direction's to get out of the city I have NOOOOOOOO Idea.
    I treat cops like that as if I have met some one on Crack except they are Crazzzzzzy And they are ARMED.
    We All Need those SPY Camera's that you can put under your ball cap and let some one like that puke out all he can a bout Rules & Reg.'s
    Then Send A copy of that Video to His/Her Boss? News Paper? CNN? You Tube? DOT Washington DC? Your Senator's Office? OOIDA?
    Make this guy run & hide or quit his job
    This type of people are a disgrace to the law enforcement community.
    They pull crap out of their Bottom and they hope that you go for it
    If this ####### wants you to be in the state of readiness then you should have told the idiot that you are out of uniform?
    That is why you didn't SALUTE Him when you entered The Chicken Coop You Only Had Your Zipper Down and you left it Hangin Low and Slow and ready to Go Because that you thought that was Sufficient.

"If we spent a penny every time we complained about something we wouldn't have anything to complain about" ……….Casual Trucker

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    Scooter Jones Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I'm sorry, but I'm really confused by this. You log 15 minutes for checking in and 15 for getting your P-work and Sleeper berth in between, but in the first sentence you say that you log yourself on duty until you have been loaded/unloaded and have your bills in hand. Did you mean 'Off' duty?

4. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    No. I run paper logs. I draw the line to line 4 upon arrival and leave it there until I leave. Then I fill in the blanks. I figure it's safer to do it that way in case of an unforseen incident.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    it is law that we are to be ON DUTY. when on a cmv property. shipper, receiver, what not.

it's there folks. and it's been posted time and again on this sight.

most of us do go off duty. cuz if we're just going to sit there till who knows how long. we're certainly not going to eat up our hours sitting there.

i've been sitting here. 3 hours now. waiting for a crane to go on my trailer so i can leave. and the crane is 20 feet to the side of me. just need someone to come operate this machine and throw it on me.

i'm in a state of readiness. OFF DUTY. waiting to strap down. and if dot asks. i'm sitting on the street. NOT owned by this cmv company. cuz i'll more then likely be here all day. watching my 14 click away.

scottied67 and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  6. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    I'd like to see your source for this law.

Simple fact is you're wrong.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  7. OFTOTR

OFTOTR Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Toccoa GA
    Yes, and we have to be in a 'state of readiness' while we sleep in the sleeper if zombies attack, some driver backs into us, or we have an urgent call of nature.

How would this 'Chicken Coop Cackler' want us to log that?

not4hire Thanks this.
  8. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2013
    SC

I know this won't make too many friends but you may want to look at the following before deciding who is right or wrong...

Hours of service of drivers

Code of Federal Regulations§ 395.2Definitions.

On-duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On-duty time shall include: (1) All time at a plant, terminal, facility, or other property of a motor carrier or shipper, or on any public property, waiting to be dispatched, unless the driver has been relieved from duty by the motor carrier;(2) All time inspecting, servicing, or conditioning any commercial motor vehicle at any time; (3) All driving time as defined in the term driving time;(4) All time in or on a commercial motor vehicle, other than) Time spent resting in or on a parked vehicle, except as otherwise provided in §397.5 of this subchapter;(ii) Time spent resting in a sleeper berth; or(iii) Up to 2 hours riding in the passenger seat of a property-carrying vehicle moving on the highway immediately before or after a period of at least 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth;(5) All time loading or unloading a commercial motor vehicle, supervising, or assisting in the loading or unloading, attending a commercial motor vehicle being loaded or unloaded, remaining in readiness to operate the commercial motor vehicle, or in giving or receiving receipts for shipments loaded or unloaded;(6) All time repairing, obtaining assistance, or remaining in attendance upon a disabled commercial motor vehicle;(7) All time spent providing a breath sample or urine specimen, including travel time to and from the collection site, to comply with the random, reasonable suspicion, post-crash, or follow-up testing required by part 382 of this subchapter when directed by a motor carrier;( Performing any other work in the capacity, employ, or service of, a motor carrier; and (9) Performing any compensated work for a person who is not a motor carrier.

chalupa and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  9. scythe08

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    When Mr DOT asks you anything, try not to give him too much rope to hang you with. I arrived an hour before appointment time and parked outside their gates and walked my dogs before I checked in-- boom.

11. scythe08

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Just made it alittle bit easier to read :)

But what if none of this really applies? Like when you're backed into the Dock and the Customer tells you to just go back to your truck and we'll bang on the trailer to let you know that you're done? I have always logged Sleeper berth time. If I'm not needed on the dock, then I'm sitting on the bed. Am I in fact in Violation? :(

Ranger Bob and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.