Removing tractor mud flaps?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Dino soar, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Thank you guys for all the help. Our lowbed is up and running and we have our farm tags and everything is working out great.

Now when I picked up the lowbed, I had to slide the fifth wheel all the way completely to the end for the mud flaps not to hit.

So is it legal for me to run without the mud flaps? I can buy another set that I can reconfigure things to move forward, but do I need to do that?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Technically legal, but the second youre bobtail, in violation (so dont ever take it to a shop without the trailer)

Rearmost tires are the only ones that require mudflaps

BUT, if youre doing farm and a lowboy, youre going to spit more dirt everywhere with no flaps... so i would figure out what needs done to have them on the tractor

Bean Jr., gentleroger, TX2Day and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Thank you that is a very good answer.

Bean Jr. and skallagrime Thank this.
  5. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    @skallagrime answered correctly. I will add this. Carry the flaps with you. Dot likes that. That way they know when you drop the trailer you will make it bobtail legal.
    This is where the old school Betts spring type removable hangers come in handy.

TX2Day, Oxbow, W923 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
  7. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    wow a Betts kit with reflectors and bolts at a almost reasonable price.
    Consider picking up a second set of brackets to mount ahead of your drives if you have room.
    They can also be mounted unobtrusively on the neck of your trailer.

8. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
  9. TX2Day

TX2Day Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2023
    Texas
    I was hunting for how close to your rear drives you mud flaps need to be. Didn't find that information but did copy and paste all of this:
    The Mudflap Rule

One question that seems to get asked a lot is “Where are the mudflap rules?” This is especially true after someone receives a ticket for not having one!

The FMCSA recommends mud flaps be mounted at 300 mm and at angle greater than 22 degrees.

Most jurisdictions simply state that the vehicle must have mudflaps/splashguards on the rear of the vehicle that are adequate to keep spray and debris tossed up by the tires from hitting the windshields of following traffic.

Specific requirements

There are some states that provide specific requirements, and these are the ones that “set the standards” that interstate trucks need to follow. The most common requirements are that the mudflap/splashguard cover the full width of the tire and:

• Reach to within 8 inches of the ground (AZ, DE, MO, and TX are examples). Several states say the mudflap/splashguard must be within 10 inches of the ground.

• Extend down from the top of the tire at least the same distance as the width of the tires (MD is an example of a state that has this).

• Cover 2/5 of the vertical tire area (MS is 2/5, several states say 1/2 to 2/3). • Be able to stop water and debris that is leaving the tire at a tangent angle of 22

degrees or more (MI, OK, and PA all use the 22 degree standard).

So what can an interstate carrier do? To comply everywhere, most carriers go with a standard of around no more than 6 inches from the ground, but definitely no more than 8 inches from the ground (depending on where the fleet operates). This keeps you out of trouble just about everywhere you need to go!

Hope that was somewhat helpful.

beastr123 and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Is Phoenix still doing their "sailing mudflaps" thing?

11. Northern Nomad

Northern Nomad Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2020
    The frozen north
    The truck I drive has removable mud flaps that I keep on the catwalk. The only time I put them on is when I bobtail. The mechanic made these little brackets for them on the frame and they’re secured by linchpins. On and off in seconds, as long as I remember to do it :D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.