Report a violation or not?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by chilibowl, Jan 17, 2018.

1. WiggleWagon

WiggleWagon Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Parked At The Fuel Island
    Don't take it to a scale. Don't pull it at all till it is safe and legal. Don't run with falsified paperwork. You know it's falsified.

I've played that "run this trailer here, deliver that load, then I'll have it fixed" game. It's not worth it. Tickets are expensive. Accidents, etc. will be worse.

Do it once, boss man will expect it. When you finally refuse something crazy, he could easily throw in your face " So, uh....how did you get this other stuff done? Are you telling me you ran illegal before?"

Truck owners, especially the 2/10 truck guys are scantless. As a driver, most of the time, you are stuck in the middle. You have to run the gauntlet of "...do I keep my job or do I break the law?"

When more drivers stand up to these A-Wholes and refuse to run illegal equipment, we might actually (eventually) see a change. Not only with the companies realizing they can't get away with this garbage but with the over-all trucking image.

Everyone has straight up FREAKED the EFFF OUT over E-Logs. Does no one realize this is a reaction to all the shady owners/drivers breaking the law?

Follow the law people. If you don't agree, change careers. Otherwise, Do your job, by the rules that are set forth, agreed upon by ALL or not. When everyone does this, and gains some respect back, maybe then we as drivers/owners can get our voice back and demand some change with the regulations.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Which part of the brakes needs repair? When mine need fixed my mechanic says exactly the issue.
    Can you inspect the brakes for thickness and cracks in the drums as well as tires yourself?

These truck stop "mechanics" aren't always the brightest people and know their customers aren't generally repeat customers.....so I wouldn't put it past them to claim you need some repairs that you may not actually need.

4. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    A light here or there ok.....questionable tire
    ok.....brakes brake lites.....NO Nope...too much potential trouble for all involved
    Besides I care a lot about me ain't getting hurt......not to mention hurting others

5. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I’m new to trucking but not new to the transport industry. Don’t do it. If you inspected them and thought they were out of spec and Loves said the same thing you risk a fat DOT ticket and possible personal liability if you get in an accident with it. Get it repaired or get another trailer and like the other post said document what you can. If your company gives you a hard time they don’t deserve to have you as a safe dependable driver. That’s just my two bits.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Tell your boss your going to the first scale house and asking for an inspection..pack your stuff and drive through the scales.
    :biggrin_25525:

7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
  8. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    call in the US Marshalls!

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    Even when he's wrong?

Bean Jr. and IH Truck Guy Thank this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You are worried you will loose you income if you refuse. I get that.

Think of this though. There are half a million trucking companies out there. There is only one CDL with your name on it. Which is worth more to you?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  11. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Refuse to move it, quit, find a job with a proper company.

pattyj Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.