Report: Truck Driver Training - by Ted Cohen

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by WiseOne, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Nycmex77

Nycmex77 Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2011
    NEW YORK,NY

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/us-xpress/

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...e/72881-u-s-xpress-please-look-elsewhere.html

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. falconbowhunter

falconbowhunter Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Findlay, Ohio
    I live in NW Ohio and the only trucking school I know of is one in the my city of Findlay and operates out of the community college Owens-Findlay campus. I have a buddy who works for Schneider and has been trying to help me get into trucking. Does anyone here have experience with this school. My buddy says Trainco is highly thought of. I don't know if their PDTI certified or not. I'm hoping to find a grant somewhere to pay for it as I have laid off of work and don't have the money for loans. The local workforce agency JobSolutions wants me to prove I'm looking for a job before they will even talk about WIA funds for training.

4. Pop

Pop Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Garnerville, New York
    What do you guys think about going out of state for cdl school?
    It seem like many of the companies willing to pay for your school are out of state for me. I would think staying in my home state for school would eliminate the need to surrender my license to gain a cdl and then have to do it again when I come home. Also I would rather work somewhere close to home as possible so that my home time is not spent traveling.
    Does any of this make any sense?

5. lilsister

lilsister Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Alabama
    After reading this thread, I feel very lucky in having convenient access to my school, Shelton State Community College in Tuscaloosa, AL. An 8 week program, their truck to student ratio is 1:1. They limit the class to 8, so if you're interested, you have to be proactive about securing your seat. Tuition is only $1,500(because of the state accreditation and supplement) and there are several financial aid programs to cover the training. We have spent 56 hours classroom training (and in that time, all 8 of us took and passed the written CDL test and all but 1 have full endorsements(including hazmat)! By the end of the class we each will log 280 hours driving and a min of 1200 miles. Each!!! I am definitely happy with my choice of school and my instructors demand quality not quantity(between them they have 42 years behind the wheel) as it will reflect on them if we're total screwups! Check them out if your ANYWHERE close to AL. Its worth it!

andre Thanks this.
  6. jaxom88

jaxom88 Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I am thinking about going to TDI in dallas. tx, has anyone been their are they a good school to go to? Any info, stories or anything else anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

7. andre

andre Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Great post! For folks looking to train, look to your community colleges. You'll be glad you did!

8. bamaminchew

bamaminchew Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Leeds
    If anyone is looking for a good school in Alabama, you should consider TDI in Oxford. Those folks really care about getting the students ready to drive and they will help you to get it right.

9. ml911

ml911 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2012
    UT
    If anyone in Northern Utah is looking for schools, check out Bridgerland Area Technical COllege (BATC). 8-10 week course, excellent instructors, excellent trucks for on the road training. 5 week book course, log book, trip planning, Rules and Regulations. Cost is about 2500+ . VA approved

Lawdog71 Thanks this.
  10. suds22

suds22 Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2012
    South GA
    TDI Truck Driving Institute- Forsyth, GA is where I attended(they have 15 schools around the country):

Just got done and now I have my CDL A. I wanted to give some information in case you are in the same position I was in. Looking at the endless amount of information out there!

I chose this school because it was the shortest amount of time and it was a GA DDS approved school. I could have went to other cheaper schools or longer/cheaper Tech college program, but this one worked for me.

This is a very good school for several different reasons.

-The instructors were very good and everyone in my class(8 people) passed the DDS CDL A driving test except one, who will retake it next week(he messed up the Alley dock parking manuever on Friday).

My class started with 14 people. One guy was delayed because of high blood pressure and the others failed the Permit test and came back the following week or a few never came back at all!! The first 3-4 days will be classroom prep for the Permit. You take the permit test on Wed.

*****BE PREPARED WHEN YOU GET THERE. START STUDYING THE THE TEST INFORMATION BEFORE YOU GET THERE TO TAKE SOME PRESSURE OFF YOURSELF. THERE IS ALOT TO LEARN. USE THE TESTS ON THIS SITE! I USED THEM AND STUDIED FOR ONE DAY SOLID AND THEN WENT AND GOT MY PERMIT.

*****I went and got my permit before I went to school. I suggest doing this if you can!!

-They will finance the entire cost of the school and lodging, which totals $5895. You may need a co-signer, but they will finance it without much hassle at all. They also give a $1000 discount if paying cash. Almost all trucking companies have tuition reimbursement programs to help repay this.

-out of pocket expenses Will be right around $200-$350
    $100 covers 1st week at hotel(had continental breakfast). The rest of hotel is included in tuition. They do this because a lot of people fail the CDL Permit test. If you fail twice, then you have to come back in a week.
    $75 for DOT Physical. This is a requirement but it is an easy physical, just basic stuff and a drug screen. One guy had to go home and come back a week later after he got his blood pressure under control.
    $20 for Permit
    $20 for CDL license.
    Other money is for food and drinks.

-Everyday you get 1/2 day on the range to practice maneuvers and 1/2 day in the truck driving. They show you the route you will drive when you test which is a big help and you get to drive it several times before testing.

-They really want you to get a job! You fill out quite a few applications on the first day and I started getting Pre-hire letters by Wed. of the first week. Recruiters also came in every week and spoke to the class with helpful info.(not individual recruiting, just info. About the company.

Now the other stuff:
    -I would have preferred a smaller class size. Driving time is somewhat limited according to how many people you have in your class, but is sufficient in my opinion.
    -I only got to drive the test truck once before testing in it, and the truck was not the best in the world but it got me by.
    -Again, the first week is alot of information to process in a very short time so study hard or get your permit before you go to school if you can.

*Overall it was a great experience and the bottom line is I got my CDL and I have a choice of companies I can drive for.

If I think of anything else I'll add it later.

Good Luck

11. PeepShow :o

PeepShow :o Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2012
    I am currently attending school at ATDS a PTDI certified school in Elm Mott Tx. It's a great school, and great people run it. There are a couple of million mile instructors their. Once I learned how not to ride the clutch, and not go in so deep like I was tryin to knock the bottom out of it, like after a long week on the road, I was well on my way. Now I'm shifting up and DOWN like the big boys. They do refreshers ofcoarse, along with new driver training. Google ATDS in Elm Mott, Tx. and get the number. Oh yeah the Clarion Hotel where they put you up is decent too. 5 days a week 4 four weeks for new drivers. I had my L's already so I only had to do 3. The WIA program will pay for it if you are in TX. and you qualify.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.