Retaking CDL tests New York

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Devin555, May 24, 2017.

1. Devin555

Devin555 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2017
    Hi all

I'm not familiar with the CDL test/rules that come with it, I'm asking for my brother in law. He seems to think if he takes the test with an automatic, he is unable to retake at a later time with a stick. Does anybody know if there's any merit to this? Or possible restrictions on retaking?

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, some states will have a restriction on the cdl for automatic transmissions only. He won't be allowed to drive a stick shift if he tests with an automatic.
    Yes, if he wants the automatic transmission restriction removed, he'll have to retake the driving test with a stick shift.

4. Devin555

Devin555 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2017
    I'm wondering though if he can retake the test with a stick at a later time after he takes the automatic? At the moment he can only take the test with an automatic, but wants to eventually drive a stick. He would want to retake the test of course

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, he can retake the test and have the automatic restriction dropped. Then he can drive a stick shift or an automatic legally.

6. Devin555

Devin555 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2017
    Thanks a lot, I thought it sounded a bit odd

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Endorsement and restriction changes

Endorsement and restriction changes

Per federal mandates, DMV has made changes to commercial endorsements and restrictions for commercial learner permit (CLP) and driver license (CDL) holders.

New CDL restrictions defined below by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) may affect CLP holders when taking a Skills Test in a vehicle without full airbrakes and/or a manual transmission.

• E - No Manual Transmission Equipped CMV
    • L - No Airbrake Equipped CMV
    • Z - No Full Airbrake Equipped CMV restrictions.
    If the vehicle used for your skills test has:

• An automatic transmission, and you are applying for your first CDL, you will be given an E restriction.
    • No form of airbrakes, and you are applying for your first CDL, you will be given an L restriction.
    • Air over hydraulic brakes, and you are applying for your first CDL, you will be given a Z.
      • If you have a CDL with an L restriction and you test in a vehicle with air over hydraulic brakes, you will be upgraded from an L to a Z restriction.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.