Road Atlas / Truck Stop Books

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by taylormade1, Feb 15, 2024.

1. taylormade1

taylormade1 Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2023
    Gainesville, Florida
    Please recommend the best road atlas and truck stop books I can get to help with navigation and where to stop for breaks / night. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Rand McNally trucker's atlas. They make several versions, all depends on how much you want to spend, but they all have the same information.
    Secondly, get a current truck stop guidebook. I think they're like $7-8, updated annually.
    Third, download TruckerPath app.

For navigation, I like the Garmin line of GPS. Mine is a 5", you really don't need a giant tablet screen. Make sure it's a TRUCK GPS...... Better pricing on Amazon than anywhere else, but make sure you're getting either a Garmin, or a Rand McNally, although I had bad luck with their quality control.

4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Just to add to the above -- I spent a little extra, & got the Rand McNally Trucker atlas -- but with the LAMINATED PAGES.

With that version -- you can use erasable ink for making notes &/or trip planning, & later erase/wipe clean when no longer needed. That has proven super-handy.

I have had good success with the same gps (from Garmin) as mentioned above.

If hubbie isn't already familiar with it -- for places to stop for each nite -- it's pretty tough to beat the "TruckerPath" cell phone app: for truck stops, rest areas, weigh station locations, etc. I used the free version. You can pay a bit extra for more info -- but I never did.

-- L

5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I use the Cat Scale brochure/website as a truck stop book.

tscottme, lual and motocross25 Thank this.
  6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Just to piggyback on the others, I good app to put on your phone is the “Around Me” app. Whenever you stop for breaks, you can pop it open and see what kind of eats, stores, etc… are around you. I loved it for finding restaurants within a reasonable walking distance.

tscottme Thanks this.
  7. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I used Thomas guide city maps for years.
    Greater Los Angeles, Baltimore etc.
    Long before computers and gps they gave a comprehensive overall view of a city and detailed street mapping.
    Still a good idea if you deliver regularly to a large metro. Even old copies can be useful.
    Don't know if they still print them since trucks nowadays are restricted to staa routes but used to have and use low bridge directories for Chicago and N.Y.

Same with truck stop guides when we used to have truck stops across the country.

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Rand-McNally Motor Carriers Edition, been the best seed cleaner,,,oops, I mean, best for trucker advice for years, scales, low bridges, weight restrictions, the whole magila, and the best part, it never needs charging.:thumbup:

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  9. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    R/M motor carriers edition. In case your GPS craps out, grab your atlas, fold the spiral-bound pages around, and just plop it down in the middle of your steering wheel. Got me through a lot of unfamiliar territories that way. Also, the plastic-coated sheets means that food wont stain the pages when you have it sitting at your table in the truckstop restaurant, planning out your route. I uses to use a 'china marker' to map out my route, which was easy to wipe off with just a Kleenex. My 35 year old atlas is still in my bookcase, although it's so far out of date you'd get lost trying to get around Boston with it today. But, I still use it in my car, just as a backup.

unloader and BigR Thank this.
  10. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    there is a small "pocket truck stop guide" you can get. very handy with lists of stops, rest areas,ect.

also rates as small, med, large, with or without repairs shops.

Find stops in seconds. (roadlife3d.com)

taylormade1 Thanks this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Rand McNally Motor Carrier road atlas plust Trucker Path app

taylormade1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.