Running produce to Alaska

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by vikingswen, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Jrdude5

Jrdude5 Heavy Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    New York, NY
    Great thread Vikingswen I have always been interested in Alaska runs would love to find a company to do that for someday but will definitely be following you be safe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    1 dead and 5 injured in that crash

vikingswen Thanks this.
  4. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere

Thanks, for the update. I knew it did not look good and feared the worst.

5. vikingswen

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    I was home for part of the week and did some shuttling of trailers to help out with some break downs. I did pull a single 28' pup and should have taken a picture since it looked pretty funny. I had to be home for an appointment today and will head out again for Anchorage Sunday morning. Hopefully my cross dock shows up on time and don't put me to far behind.

I did see some nice fuel mileage numbers on my last 1500mls. I averaged 6.999 mpg pulling empty trailers and bob tailing. I-84 was a mess between ice rain and heavy fog that claimed quite a few rigs again. I couldn't believe all the trucks running like lemmings in the heavy fog in a bumper to bumper formation.

Jrdude5 Thanks this.
  6. chowick1966

chowick1966 Medium Load Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Bloomington,IL
    Excellent and interesting thread. Takes a skilled and experienced trucker to keep it safe on those roads. Stay safe and upright my friend!!

I hope the people of Alaska appreciate you guys more than they do here in the Lower 48. You DEFINITELY deserve it!!!

DoneYourWay, Lady K and vikingswen Thank this.
  7. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Great thread.

So do you like running up there Vikingswen? Are you liking the truck?

vikingswen Thanks this.
  8. vikingswen

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Thanks and Yes. It is a huge relief when I cross into Canada and I am done with the I-5 rat race and I always hate coming back for the last 150mls.

I love the new truck. It is a huge step up from the 379 I had before.

Dharok, Weeble Kneeble and MJ1657 Thank this.
  9. vikingswen

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Most people seem appreciative of the trucks coming North, but most people that drive in Anchorage and Fairbanks drive like the rest of them. On my last trip I had three grocery store drops in Anchorage which can be challenging on a sunny summer day, but with the icey roads it will test your patience. I still run my dashcam and will have the movie of the 4-wheeler cutting me off to turn into the parking lot or side street after they got a nice jolt in the rear.

I actually had a couple stop and check on me along the Alcan when I was stopped along the road and cleaned my lights to make sure I was okay. That was nice and I thanked them for looking out for me.

Dharok, Big Don and Ukumfe Thank this.
  10. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    please explain this, cause it's throwing me for a loop. Yes I know Canada has different rules than the US. But what 4 different hos?
    'HOS rules since ultimately there are four different HOS rules that come into play '

11. vikingswen

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    1 set of HOS is the lower 48 states I deal with from our terminal to the Canadian border.
    2 set of HOS is cycle one in Canada that goes from the border to the Yukon.
    3 set of HOS is still cycle one in Canada, but above the 60 Lat the HOS rules change in Canada. I follow those to the Alcan border crossing.
    4 set of HOS start as soon as I enter Alaska and I follow the Alaskan HOS service rules.

I hope that helps. Below is a link to transport Canada's HOS regulations.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/hours_of_service.htm

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.