Running produce to Alaska

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by vikingswen, Feb 15, 2014.

1. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Got back from another trip that was plagued by break downs. I guess that cold weather is just hard on everything. Lost another airbag on the trailer on top of the Cassiar. I had a spare and figured I get it switched out in Whitehorse since I did not want to change it at minus 20 on the side of the road. 200 mls later the cartridge in the air dryer failed and froze. I had to bypass the dryer since I lost all air. Fun times in a cold dark night in the Yukon. Since my governor is part of the dryer I had to figure out a way to keep the pressure down too. The leaking airbag did help, but I ended up disconnecting my train horn and using the hand valve to drop the pressure. To make a great night even better my APU quit and I got to spent a very cold night in Whitehorse where the temperature dropped to -27.

The guys at New North Truck and Equipment had a new air dryer and installed my air bag as well. Not the cheapest fix, but I did not loose my load and still made it for on time delivery. The snow and ice ripped out the wiring out of the ABS sensor on the trailer. After I delivered and reloaded on Friday I got my APU going and was a happy camper to have warm food and hot tea again. After the snow storm stopped on Saturday I replaced the ABS sensor and fixed a leaking airline on the tire inflation system. It's going to rain the whole time I am home and I figured I rather lay in powder snow than mud. It was great until the wind picked up I got blasted by that nice powder snow.

The road is getting back and took four trucks in the last month. We had to rollovers, a head on and one truck that went off the road into the rhubarb. That are just grocery trucks and don't count the log trucks, bulk hauler and vans that were on their sides.

Tomorrow I get to fix a broken radiator shroud, coolant leak and a wiring issue on the trailer. I have to get my base plate in Olympia and see how badly I will get raped again this year. Last year's base plate was just over $4700.00 and then add Alaska and Yukon and it came to $6014.10 for a grand total.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Before you go to Olympia, call and make sure they are open. Yesterday they had no power and the office was closed. According to another office that's in a different location some trees had fallen and taken out a couple transformers and it might be a couple days before they had power again.

When you go to the prorate website they say to go to a different location but they have limited functionality. I was trying to do my ifta yesterday when I tried calling them with a question and found this out.

vikingswen Thanks this.
  4. vikingswen

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    I am glad you posted that. I will give them a call and find out.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  5. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    It's nice and warm up hwy 37 now. On my way back from Bruce jack now. Roads rougher than #### and icey in the morning.

vikingswen Thanks this.
  6. imurphy907

imurphy907 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2016
    -32F at my home in Palmer, Ak this morning.

vikingswen Thanks this.
  7. vikingswen

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    We came through there Monday night and it was solid ice from Bell 2 to Bell 1 even going up Hnnah was pretty greasy and I kept breaking loose a lot of times. We stopped and spent the night in Smithers and hoped for better roads the next morning. I ended up chaining going up Hungry Hill into Houston. It finally got better after we got through Burns Lake.

8. vikingswen

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    It's warm and raining at home. I can't wait to lay under my trailer tomorrow to fix a wiring issue.

9. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    Musta passed you again at some point. Spent the night in vanderhoof on Monday night and started trucking at 7:30. Roads were good at that point. Even my buddy logging up at the junction said they won't hit the road until later in the morning since it's way to dam icey first thing and road maintence isn't a priority anywhere up here it seems:

vikingswen Thanks this.
  10. vikingswen

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    If you ever thought about running to Alaska and have a nice truck don't do it.
    Here are some pictures of my tractor before the first trip. Mirror polished aluminium all the way around. Nice black frame and shiny paint.

Attached Files:

ReeferOhio, lynchy, fargonaz and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good pictures. Good looking rig, dirty or clean.

Crusader66 and vikingswen Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.