Running with JCT, Part Deux

Discussion in 'John Christner' started by drloveofdfw, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX
    It wouldn't be so bad if the R trucks weren't such crappy quality. I don't mind taking an R truck on a day trip due to exteneded repairs. Like "Go pick this up in Noel and bring it back here" kind of thing. But long term? I had one for a week, and it would randomly "Reboot" while driving. Entire dash cluster all lights everything just off....then back on and dash sweep....while going 65.

Apparently someone took an R truck due to their truck being down and it broke down in Sapulpa. After moving all MY stuff needed into a new truck and it breaking down immediately after...I'd be PISSSSED.

I generally don't mind the downtime, because I've already accounted for it, I always plan for the worst case scenario. "Oh it will be done tomorrow" translates in my head to "It will be 2 days" etc. And I try to stay in my truck as much as possible to keep expenses down, but last time, had to take a hotel day. Didn't regret it in the least.

Also I don't know how you're only turning over 900 on 3200 miles. Last settlement I turned over $ 1,432 on 3106...no extra pay nothing...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I've never figured it out. I've never been able to match you guys on money. 0.33 cents per miles plus 314 is my current flat expenses.

4. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX
    That is odd, I'm currently set at .33 cents as well (.23 lease, .10 maintenance) with a 323 Fixed (I estimated UP to account for EFS charges on my sheet).

My next settlement after an ugly week fighting wind across I80, is 3585 miles for 1,389. It would have been 1,558 but I overfilled on some cheap diesel in El Paso. Could have easily made it back to Tempe without it but fuel is a little higher there.

According to Fuel Gauges, i'm running about .37 cents per mile average cost on fuel this month. Lifetime is 31 cents. Wind and fuel costs was a BEAST.

Could be fuel purchasing? We've been over 3.00 average for a while but I'm still averaging about 2.681 across the last 30 days according to EFS.

kanidana Thanks this.
  5. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX
  6. arrogant steve

arrogant steve Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
    Took a truck left at Ft Worth yard to use as a rental once. This was a Truck abandoned there by a previous driver. It was ‘16 model Pete with less than 300000 miles. Transmission was shot, check engine light was on and generally a crappy truck. Breakdown said it was good to go. This was a miserable 10 or so days we spent in this truck. Nothing worked like it was supposed to. I can’t see us ever renting another truck here! If it weren’t for some clown plowing into side of our truck, this wouldn’t have been necessary. Truck was so bad, we elected to stay at home for the next six weeks while ours was repaired!

7. MachoCyclone

MachoCyclone Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    So, as usual, the TA in North Bend, WA is full. Both free and paid spots. Always entertaining to watch a driver argue with the cashier and manager saying that they have the right to the paid spot because they are parked there now even though the spot was paid for through the app for a driver still on the way. Even argued that his truck was in the shop here all day so he's entitled to a parking spot. The manager came back with you had all day to pay for reserved spot. The driver got madder and said that he's in good with corporate and all he had to do was make a phone call. Manager said, go ahead. Driver ended up walking off.

arrogant steve Thanks this.
  8. crxdc

crxdc Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Las vegas NV
    I do think if you pay a bunch to the shop they should have spots for them. Of course I always dropped my trailer in a spot then took truck to get it fixed.

9. MachoCyclone

MachoCyclone Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    Same here. I think that if that driver had talked to the manager before all the spots were bought, he might have comped him a spot. I have done that before and just had the manager take away the shower credit and comp a parking spot. All of the paid spots were bought by 1pm and when I got here at noon, all the free spots were taken. Luckily for me, I bought my spot for today on friday via the app.

10. Kamkor

Kamkor Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Wellington, TX
    I've always had the worst luck when paying for spots, every time I pay for a spot thinking there will be no parking, there is tons of parking. Happened there in North Bend, happened in North Platte, happened in Lake Haveseau.

On the subject of Shop and parking, I think if you're in a parking spot when you check in for shop and they have you waiting, when you get called in, they should "Shop Reserve" your spot, even in free parking. Like come out there with a shop reserved sign or something. At most they are only going to have a handful of spots like that, because you're just going back into it and another spot is going to reserve for the next guy.

But only do that if you're in a spot already, if you're not, then, have to do what that manager did for you or buy an actual spot.

I've had that happen enough in Barstow where its frustrating. Go into the shop to check in for repair at 5pm, park, they don't get me in until about 9pm, out at midnight, all spots gone. And its always Trailer repairs so nothing to drop.

11. arrogant steve

arrogant steve Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
    Therr
    Sorry for the double post, phone is more sensitive than I realize sometimes. If we are looking to shutdown at that location, we always reserve a spot, It is our go to spot when delivering in Seattle. There are actually two spots reserved by the shop at the end next to the exit. This place is typically full by 1700 that includes reserved spots. So a driver experienced in the Seattle area is more than willing to pay for that spot! With all the B. S., why is a driver willing to pay for the privilege to park there? The view of course! It’s absolutely beautiful! Plus we only get up there on the rare occasion.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.