RV Transporters

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by GreyBeardGuy, Jun 15, 2019.

1. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    I would think hot-shoting for oil field, mix with RV be more lucrative if I chose that route.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    You would need your own authority to do both

4. ITHotshot

ITHotshot Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2019
    I do it for Indiana Transport. It is a tough gig but also a lot of fun. Yesterday I visited Lassen Volcanic National Park after dropping a toy hauler in Redding, CA. Also the nice thing about it is...if yer rig weighs less than 10,001 lbs unladen yer no longer a CMV.

Now, for doing it in your own rig and not working for someone else you should be able to make decent money. With IT we use comdata. I highly recommend having a 100+ gallon external fuel tank and an HD truck. Then use the FleetAdvance app (if you go with comdata...not sure about EFS method of finding discounted fuel). And make sure you fuel at the cheapest places you can find (and not your preferred stop...i was sad to have to sacrifice Love's LOL).

The external fuel tank will help you stop less and make it to the next lowest fuel stop. Otherwise you'll be spending too much money on fuel (and subsequently not make any money). Imagine having to fuel at nearly $5 a gallon in CA. Nope....the goal is to get in and out without having to fuel.

Most loads pay .86 (usually Canada loads) to 1.46 cpm. They pay half the miles upfront as an advance for fuel and what not. You wont use all of that for fuel, maybe 3/4 of it if yer rig is setup right. The other 1/4 would go for yer other truck expensess. The other half should be mostly profit.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  5. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    The bigger fuel tank is a good trick for little trucks. It allows you to bypass more expensive fuel states and even more expensive stops within the same state and basically allows you to shop prices and play the fuel game better. If you only have a 35-40 gallon tank you are pretty much at the mercy of whatever stops you get along the way every 300-400 miles or so. There is still some strategy as far as where to fill up that offers the best fuel discount even with the standard tank. The phone apps for Loves or PFJ or whatever come in handy for that. But for going to places like CA, WA, or especially anywhere in Canada, the fuel prices will kill you if you have to buy it there.

6. ITHotshot

ITHotshot Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2019
    Comdata and its subsequent FleetAdance app rocks for saving money. Ive saved as much as $70 before. Could be better out there but it is what we use.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.