Safety Vest, do you wear one?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Alaska76, Jul 1, 2014.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, if we do the math, 70ft +100ft. +100ft.+70ft.+100ft.+100ft., whew, it's a lot to ask.:biggrin_2551:

48Packard Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    I have triangles in my pick up as well, that is something else everyone should have, and use, also have electronic flares... batteries last much longer than magnesium.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    48Packard and Numb Thank this.
  5. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    If they cant see a big truck with flashers and reflectors, why would the see a lil ole vest???

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  6. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Contrast and far less common a sight.

7. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    I can't disagree w/anyone trying to stay safe......but im ambivalent......on the other hand when you are out shopping w/your other half at home on Sat. &your wondering thru the grocery store w/your company jacket&reflective vest on...you look like a schmuck.....

fortycalglock and "semi" retired Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I wear yellow class III shirts, not vest but compete shirts. I wear them every day, even bought the iron on reflective material (eBay) to put on new shirts if I can't find class IIIs in a pinch. I get a lot of complaints about them because they get really dirty when I help out at some of these places like when I clean dies (Yeah I do extras for extra money). They get bad enough where I have to soak them for a bit before they go into the wash. Now I have almost been hit by a truck at truck stops a few times, even when wearing PPG, and the last time the guy in that great pumpkin truck drove over the curb because he was doing something with his phone - at least he stopped. I tell these companies that because I am working around forklift drivers who are clueless and just out of or still in high school (one place have the owner's son drive a forklift at 14 - No comment) I wear what I need to wear to get noticed. I occasionally have to pull over to fix something, like when I was coming from a pickup on M24 north of 75, I had to get onto 75 but had to fix a chain before I hit 75 and pulled way over onto the grass on the ramp at the Palace B-ball place. NOT ONE ******* truck ever got over into the other lane and they would go speeding by, giving me a great big WIND KISS. The cars never even consider slowing down so I am used to that.

9. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Require to wear it around the rails and terminal. I had wore it when I was sitting on the shoulder at night too. And ridgeline, I had the same problem with truckers not moving over too even when I see they had room for miles. Guess turning your turn signal, looking over and tiltin the wheel 10 degrees is too much to ask for our lives

10. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I wear a bullet proof vest when making stops in NYC.

CondoCruiser Thanks this.
  11. Stuka

Stuka Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    Very simple. Long ago I was taught it was up to me to watch out for cars when near a street or parking lot. I don't wear a vest because I don't rely on or expect drivers to see me--I see them and take the necessary steps. Wearing a safety vest looks dorky, like a special needs child who cannot be trusted to watch out for himself from getting run over. I could wear ninja clothes and be just as safe. Because I am vigilant and watchful.

Did I mention I also ride motorcycles? Same principle applies.:biggrin_2559:

91B20H8, dca and tracyq144 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.