Scalding hot shower alert.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by JChors, Jul 31, 2016.

1. JChors

JChors Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Newport, OR
    I actually got a call back from the store manager a few minutes ago. He said his water was set at 160F and he would dial it back a bit.

rabbiporkchop, 48Packard and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
  4. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    So THAT'S why some of these guys don't shower or wash their hands! The waters too hot! All along laziness had nothing to do with it. Isn't that something!

5. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Now if you could just figure out how to make the restrooms not smell like #### all would be right in my world.

6. JChors

JChors Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Newport, OR
    That sounds like a driver problem more than a plumbing one

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    160 degrees? That's all? My wife thinks that is a COLD shower...:eek:

8. Cheap Weenie

Cheap Weenie Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Or, you know, you could test the temperature with your hand before jumping in......

pigeon river trucking and alghazi Thank this.
  9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    angry9::angel12::occasion5::occasion5::occasion5::occasion5::occasion5::occasion5:I'm done for the day.

LindaPV Thanks this.
  10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I was at some pilot or j getting a shower, the single lever faucet for the shower-- turn it all the way on it was borderline cold. Almost as if the cold water was 2:1 to the hot water. Only way I got the hottest water which still wasn't comfortable was to turn the faucet way down to about half pressure.

11. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Commercial installations design their systems to use water that's hotter than what you'd find in a residential setting. Heating the water hotter allows the heater to be more efficient by heating a smaller quantity.

The temperature is regulated by a mixer valve at each shower faucet, which is supposed to have a high limit setting that doesn't allow the temperature to exceed a preset value. Unfortunately, I've experienced many truck stop showers where this mixer valve is malfunctioning. The most common malfunction that I've encountered was where the water temperature would suddenly go to 'full hot'. There was always an advance warning in the form of a water hammer, which would prompt me to step out of the stream until the water returned to my set temperature. I did have a few where the temp was always full hot, and some where it didn't get hot enough, so I requested a different shower.

Bottom line is that the facility needs to be notified of malfunctioning showers, and they need to be more aggressive about fixing problem showers.

texasbbqbest and 48Packard Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.