Scale/Weight/Axle Question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Grumppy, Jul 20, 2014.

1. 6 Speed

6 Speed Heavy Load Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Whats the problem? single axle truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hambeldon

Hambeldon Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2007
    MO
    Got axle scaled today, Clarksburg Maryland SB on I-270. Load heavy but under 80k, 12,700 on steers, no problem, green light... I am usually a bit heavy on steers due to heavy tractor and 300 gal tanks, but so far after four months, no issues.

4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    So far, problem resolved after about 4 weeks of watching a couple of things to resolve it. So, I thought I would report back with a couple possible answers to this problem.

One thing I leaned in this thread that possibly causes this. DO NOT set the trailer parking brake when on scales. Since I learned this in this thread, I have been releasing the trailer brakes once parked on the scales. The issues have gone away & I havent been over on steers even once. (This is why some of you guys are showing over steers on your CAT Scale but never get stopped when crossing the DOT scales. You're not actually over.)

Number two. The other thing I tried in the same week as starting the other resolution:
    Just to give this a shot, I moved the 5th wheel forward 2 holes, for three days. This put me over on steers (which we very sure was going to happen) almost every time. After three days of using various dry van trailers, with various loads & various weights, I moved the 5th wheel back to its previous setting... all the way back. Its been 4 weeks & I have not had a problem with being over on steers.
    While this option may sound silly on the face, it was done because of some suggestions in this thread, that there was possibly some issues with the valve that distributes air levels to the airbag/leveling systems on this truck (again a 2015 Cascadia). Therefore, going though the elimination process I gave this a shot to see if it would adjust/calibrate the valve etc. I am not saying it did or if it even had an effect on the issue at hand, but after moving it forward 2 holes for 3 days, then moving it back to its original position (all the way back into the last hole), the irrational & unpredictable weights that were constantly all over the place on the steers.... ended. I haven't had an issue since.

If I had to choose one of these solutions over the other, I would favor resolution #1. So, for the other person on here who was looking for a solution to the same issue &/or for the next person seeking answers on this, here are two things to try.

So, my first advice to anyone else who is inexperienced in using scales... when you pull onto a set of scale (CAT Scales specifically) & you pull your yellow (truck) parking brake, this will automatically set/pop out your trailer (red valve) brakes as well. So, push your red parking brake back in & leave your yellow (truck) park brake set. Then call the scale operator to record your weight.

Hope this helps some of you guys.. Good luck. And a big thanks to everyone who gave relevant advice & really tried to offer advice & solutions. I appreciate your input :)

123456 and Hammer166 Thank this.
  5. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    The scale is to be level, and you should not set any brakes... setting the brakes does severely affect the axle weights, as you have found. Never thought anyone would be setting their brakes on a scale... learn something different every day.

And thanks for the update.

MadScientist and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  6. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    I have found that not all scales, even CAT scales, are perfectly level.

I always try to scale with both tractor and trailer brakes released.

I have found some, that even after sitting on the scale for over 3 minutes with brakes released, and without touching the service brakes, the truck will roll forward or back slowly.

I like to try two or 3 minutes if I am really heavy and not blocking anyone else, this allows fuel in the truck and refer to stop sloshing, and any airbags to finish readjusting themselves, and the scale plates to stop jiggling back and forth.

MadScientist Thanks this.
  7. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    You should see how bad tour buses are if you actually scale them. With a load of 50 people and all their junk, the steer can end up being well over 14,000 pounds, and the drives are usually way over as well. (most 40' to 45' tour buses just have a single tag axle in back of the drive axle, to help support the weight of the engine and transmission)

The DOT no longer will write overweight tickets for tour buses at roadside scales, unless it is something extreme, or they catch you on a local road that is under 7 tons axle weight.

6 Speed Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.