Schneider applicant

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by magnasis, Sep 11, 2007.

1. magnasis

magnasis Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Pontiac, IL
    Hello everyone!

I received my conditional job offer from Schnieders yesterday and I got to come up with all my paperwork and my CDL permit before my schedule start time on Oct 6. If all goes well I should be able to be there at that time :) I was wondering if someone could discribe what I'll go through starting Oct 6 til whenever I get my own truck. How long is the training and how long will I be a with a driver trainor. How long will it take from Oct 6 til I get my own truck and start making cpm. Has you can probably tell I am very anxious and excited about doing this :)

Thanks for your responses :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. burnedoutnewbie

burnedoutnewbie Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    If Schneider approves you, you will be transported, most likely by bus, to a motel near the training academy. Get a good nights sleep, beacuse you will be waking up early to catch the pumpkin bus.

For the next 14 days, you will be "Schneiderized." Everything you need to know about driving a pumpkin will be covered. The days start early and end late. But the instructors will do their best to make a good driver out of you. Keep a posotive attitude and an open mind. Do your homework at the motel. Get plenty of sleep, you will need it to remain alert during class.

After you graduate the STA, you will most likely get a day or two off. You will then be sent out with a driver trainer (training engineer, or TE, as they call em), and he/she will show you the ropes out on the road. Could be from 1-4 weeks, depending how quickly you demonstrate the ability to perform driver skills and tasks. When your trainer decides that you are ready for your own pumpkin, he/she will send you back to the STA, where you will take a skills qualification test. You may also take the state CDL test, depending on which state your license and STA are in. I can tell you that in California, Schneider is a third party DMV tester.

So, you passed your SQT and CDL tests. Go get your paper CDL from DMV if you didn't get one after the test, and you get the keys to your pumpkin. Giddy up, driver!

It may sound difficult, but it is a breeze. IMHO, Schneider has a world class training program, and that certificate you get upon graduation is more than just a fancy piece of paper to employers. Keep it looking nice, make some color copies of it and keep it in your resume if you are planning on working local after you have "done your time" at Schneider.
    Good luck to you.

4. magnasis

magnasis Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Pontiac, IL
    14 days, is that 14 business days or just 2 weeks? Sounds like they will be cramming lots of info into my skull lol

5. burnedoutnewbie

burnedoutnewbie Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    That's 14 days in a row. While it is a lot to digest in such a short time, it is also a test of your stamina. You can expect to be on the road for at least two weeks straight, and they are looking to see if you don't crack under pressure. Really, it isn't as bad as it sounds. It is not boot camp.

I'm not trying to sway you either way. Knowledge is power. Research and gain all the information you need to know before you make a decision to go with big orange, or any other company. Do some searching here for posts by Turbo Trucker. He has some good writings and opinions about Schneider.
    Good luck.

6. PFM

PFM Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I started out driving with Schneider, and was lucky enough to get off the system board and onto the P&G dedicated board within 6 months. Look around at the OC's for dedicated accounts - can be tough to get on depending where you live but can be worth your time. Good luck, and be glad that Schneider got rid of the old 9670 cabovers and 55mph speed limit :).

7. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Where Schneiders Operating Centers? Im assuming they train at each center..wondering where they are located as I can't find a list.

Thanks

8. truckin916

truckin916 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    I'm going to Schneider OCt 6th also but already have my CDL, what should I expect?

9. zinger3000

zinger3000 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Latham, NY
    I'm researching Schneider as well, and I did find the info on their website (though it took some convoluted navigating to find it). The 5 training centers are:
    Carlisle, PA
    Green Bay, WI
    Charlotte, NC
    Dallas, TX
    Los Angeles area, CA

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

10. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Truckin,
    Where are you going for training? Im going on the 6th as well.

11. truckin916

truckin916 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    I'm going to Fontana, CA. I already have my CDL, got it yesterday! :biggrin_25515:
    So I'll be doing the Advanced Training for recent grads. Just not sure what to expect since I already have the CDL.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.