Schneider closing Canadian operations

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Lonesome, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I did not see that coming.

gillz107, 91B20H8 and Lonesome Thank this.
  3. classicxl

classicxl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2006
    i think they have lost too many canadian customers for them to be worth staying is my opinion . i know i don’t see their trailers around the toronto area a whole lot

Lonesome Thanks this.
  4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    auto plant closures partially responsible?

5. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    stock price up a buck since friday

Lonesome Thanks this.
  6. bags

bags Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Colorado
    Heard they quit haul'in doubles cause the top one kept fall'in off.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  7. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Asking some questions got me some speculation.

The biggest part is how costly it's gotten to cross the border. Just getting the paperwork faxed in is apparently very expensive, and that's when it's filled out properly in the first place. In the same vein, US based drivers aren't recognizing that the shipper isn't giving them all the needed paperwork. They just take the BOL and relay the load in Gary. When the Cannuck in da Truck goes to pick it up they discover the load doesn't have all the paperwork needed, which holds up the driver/load for a couple ten hours. When the paperwork is all set the driver still gets stuck for several hours crossing the border. At this point we've missed whatever the original appointment time is, so we sit the load down as we try and reschedule or we tie up a truck sitting and waiting all day to be unloaded.

And all that is before we start talking about vaccinations.

The sense I got it is that we either needed to try and grow Canadian operations massively or cut bait. Given that our incoming VP VTL oversaw our Mexican operations, I see Canada becoming Mexico North in regards to Schneider. We will have contractors hauling our trailers out of Gary and Indy into Canada, then back to the US. On the surface it seems dumb, but once you dig into the details it makes sense. We have a power only company that is hauling SCJ loads for us in the Chicago metro area that is doing it for less than what it would cost us to use Schneider drivers/trucks. It kills me that the driver's for that company think they are making "good money" but are earning significantly less than if they hauled the same loads as a Schneider driver.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  8. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Sucks to hear that. First time I ever left the US was back in 2004 in my Schneider truck. Ended up crossing the border 30 times over the next few years. Loved going up there and the Quelph terminal was always a welcome sight. Just looked them up on Google earth and that area around the terminal had really grown quite a bit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.