Schneider experienced driver orientation

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Avdriver, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Avdriver

Avdriver Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Salem
    On Friday I completed EDO for Schneider National. The orientation took place in Portland, Oregon.

It was a four and a half day orientation. myself and three other drivers were put up at nice hotel about two miles from the Schneider training yard. I will break down the orientation based on daily schedule.

Day one: Drug test, DOT physical and paperwork.

The night before orientation begins you will be asked to check in at the hotel. Orientation begins every day at 7 AM. Even if you already have a current valid DOT physical card you are still going to be asked to do a DOT physical with a doctor chosen by Schneider. The physical will include a UA and hair follicle test. Once these things are done you will return to the training center and start doing paperwork.

Day two: Qualcomm, tablet, computer training and paperwork.

There is very little to do on the Qualcomm anymore with Schneider. They have been working on moving to a tablet based system. The tablet will track your HOS, DVIR's and paperwork. It will also act as a GPS device which will have the route that Schneider wants you take take to shippers and consignees. Today you will start computer training. I hope you like watching videos and taking quizzes based on the videos because Schneider offers hours of this. The videos cover many different subjects to prepare you for life as an employee of Schneider. You will also do more paperwork on this day.

Day three: Road test, trip planning and computer training.

Pretty much all you will do this day is computer training. The road test will also happen on this day. The road test covers every maneuver you will be expected to be able to make over the course of your time with Schneider. This company takes your ability to hook and unhook safely and correctly very seriously. This is not something they mess around with. A runaway trailer is no joke and can kill.

Day 4: Computer training, safety meeting, meeting with your driver manager.

This should be your last day at EDO! My orientation took a half day longer because there were some issues with the DOT physical. On this day the safety coordinator will come and speak with the whole class. Ours was very straightforward about what the company expects of drivers. Afterwards they will answer whatever questions you may have. At the end of the day you will meet with your driver manager. At this time you will be able to express what your expectations as a driver and home time are. You may or may not be assigned a truck on this day.

Lonesome and imgoingfwrd Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. imgoingfwrd

imgoingfwrd Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Thanks for this post - really good information. My Schneider training starts on April 30 in Phoenix. I'll be there at least 17 to 18 days for dry van. I have a question you might be able to answer. Schneider's packing list for the in-truck OTR training with a trainer is fairly short, and I get why, you're in some other guy's truck and not a lot of space for your stuff. So what do you do with all of the other stuff Schneider tells you to bring for the school? That list is not so short....

4. Whyte Trashe

Whyte Trashe Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2019
    Charlotte, N.C
    Well, it’s been over a month now since the OP’s first (and last) post.
    How is Schneider working out?
    Can you even survive on the Schneider salary?
    I hope everything works out well for you.

jsnell Thanks this.
  5. Sonic_gazelle

Sonic_gazelle Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2024
    What's the road test like? Were y'all also expected to do a pre trip inspection?

6. Barricadebouncer

Barricadebouncer Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2022
    Lost me at Schneider.

When I was attending my CDL class a recruiter would come in 1-3 times a week. If at the beginning of the day the recruiter would bring breakfast for the class. If during lunch, then they’d bring lunch.

The school began a new class every other week so the was always 8-20 students for the pep talks.

The guy from Schneider shows up with 4-5 bags of donuts he picked up at the Circle K around the corner.

Strike 1.
    You expect to feed that many people with that???

Stike 2.
    He tells the class that the regular recruiter is out sick so he came instead. He also tells us that he’s a big dog who is in charge of all their operations south of I-40.

Then he tells us that they WILL be buying a major west coast based carrier before the end of 2023 that would be going out of business due to a large judgement against them. According to him the they were buying the company because they wanted the lanes. They didn’t want the trucks, nor the drivers just the lanes.

I remember thinking what a pompous ###. You come to a recruiting event where you’re expected to feed the audience because they have to come in early and bring crumbs then you basically tell the class full of prospective employees tell them you don’t what any drivers from the company you say you are acquiring?

In my opinion nothing does a better job than saying “We don’t give a f*** about driver” than what he told us.

Jayaribay Thanks this.
  7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Man, that would be a real deal killer for me too........my, my

Lonesome Thanks this.
  8. Barricadebouncer

Apr 11, 2022
    I was lucky. I already had a job lined up with a smaller carrier. Pays well, not treated like a number, except one I’ve always gotten home a day or earlier than requested, have averaged 2800+ miles a week since I hired on.

On the other hand every company out there has issues. I get the miles I do because I’ve been here a while and have proven that I’m always early to pickup or deliver when given reasonable time to arrive.

Except the few times when I wasn’t dispatched with enough time to get there on time. I’ve never been late. Ever.

Ex was once dispatched to a load 3 hours after the pickup appointment. Another time I had a 1500 mile run. The time between dispatch and delivery appointment was exactly the number of hours needed to get from pickup to delivery if one factored in the 10 hour layover. But it did not include time for the 2 30 minute breaks I’d have to take. It didn’t allow for traffic to go through one of the busy traffic corridors during peak traffic hours which I had to do to get there as quick as possible, it didn’t account for 30 miles of construction that had been ongoing for over a year and on top of all that the pickup was scheduled for one hour sooner than the product I was to haul arrived at the shipper.

My dispatcher knew I’d be late and simply said to do the best I could and they would deal with the customers. That’s why I continue to get miles when others don’t.

I wouldn’t recommend anyone switch carriers now because the entire industry is in the crapper and recruiters know that. They have to keep filling seats while knowing the are telling drivers to expect a certain number of miles. But they aren’t telling the prospective hires that those expectations are now pie in the sky.

9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Yeah, I'd be ticked off, too. Lousy recruiter, only bringing enough donuts so ya get 1 per person.....

Opus Thanks this.
  10. Barricadebouncer

Apr 11, 2022
    it’s not about the donuts. It’s the idea that a company as large as them isn’t willing to meet the same established minimal expectation that its competitors meet. In addition it shows that the students displayed respect so he didn’t have to speak to a classroom full of empty chairs yet he chose not to reciprocate that respect

The fact that the students have already made arrangements to be there at a certain time and because that changed they may not be able to eat before they arrive due to those other responsibilities they have outside of class.

I suspect you’re smarter than a first grader (a little sarcasm for Mr. Sarcasm) so I’d guess you were able to figure that out and were simply being sarcastic as your nickname describes you as such.

11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    I know he and I both worked with Schneider.
    You didn’t want dudes donuts.
    You didn’t like his personality.
    Should’ve been good.

They probably did buy the company out, they didn’t need their drivers.
    Nor Trucks.
    They’ve got probably 10k trucks and no telling how many trailers.

They could do better on their communication with their drivers.
    But, you’ve got a recruiter, it’s like any recruiter to anything, his/her job is to fill seats.
    That’s it.
    Once you’re there, you’ll probably never see/talk to that person again.

Lonesome and cuzzin it Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.