School advice

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by midget28, Feb 8, 2007.

1. midget28

midget28 Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2007
    What Cheer Iowa
    Im starting the course to get my cdl in a few weeks and would like to hear any advice at all. Im a terrible student and could use any advice to keep from getting behind or worse kicked out. Dont misunderstand im intelligent i just have a hard time dealing with teachers and understanding what it is they ask for now granted i talked to one of the instructors and he sounds like a pretty down to earth guy ill be fine with its the driving guys i havent talked to yet soo any advice on double clutching ,backing, inspection would be appreciated. If its on here already i probably have already it and im working on reading through the handbook for a cdl tryin to memorize all of the important stuff.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    ask logs to E-mail you the power point that she has on logging. it helps visualize it to me. plus it's not for some reason?? in the CDL manual.

4. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    This may sound strange, but do you learn by sight, or by sound. You may not know. But think about it. I know this by personal expierence.
    I used to think that I was a terrible student. Because I took all the notes and studied everything I read over and over. But still i didn't get it. Finally, ONE teacher asked me about sight and sound learning.
    Long story short, I figured out I learned by sound. Listening to and watching the instructor. In 2001, I passed the Florida Real Estate license test first attempt. Did not take one note in class. Listened and reviewed the book.
    I don't know if this helps, but I just didn't want to label yourself a bad student, without a different perspective.

5. mArTmAn

mArTmAn Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Greenville, MS

Email me and I will send you some links where you can do some CDL practice test. These will help you when you go take your DMV cdl test as they did me. Get a highlighter and use it in class when they tell you too. When taking the practice test in class don't bog yourself down on one question..if you don't know the answer move to the next one and answer the ones you can then go back to the one you have problems with. Then use the process of elimination to help you get the answer. Multiple choice test are not that hard as usally two of the provided answers make no sense if you read them well. You will be surprised at how easy it is. Just do your homework and read what they tell you too and you should have no problem.

Good Luck,

Marty

6. midget28

Jan 10, 2007
    What Cheer Iowa
    Im not really worried about any of the tests simply b/c I tend to better on tests than someone with similar study time. I actually got kicked out of a english class b/c the teacher said i had to of cheated b/c no one could not study for her tests and still pass. Its homework ive always had the problem with I could faill the homework but still ace the test so how important is the homework in most cases?Although the logg thing I need to look into . I think ill be fine on pretrip just out of habbit. My racing has kinda made me prone to checking just about everything for wear and tear.

7. mArTmAn

mArTmAn Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Greenville, MS

Okay maybe i miss understood what you were asking. Getting the permit is the first hurdle. You wont go any further unless you get that. Can't get on the yard and do anything without the permit. Learning the rest of the stuff is just simple practice and doing it everyday in the yard. If you don't think you need to study for the test then thats up to you. I see what happened to people in my class who don't study...6 went to take the test and all 6 failed the first time. I passed mine the first time 100% on all three test. The reason they all failed is because they didn't do the homework that was assigned. All they had to do was some practice test of a 100 questions. Some CDL mills will send you home if the fail the first General knowledge test and you only have a couple of days to study for it.

This is what happened in my first week of school and from what I have been reading on here and other forms that this is the norm for most schools. My advice is to apply yourself and do what they tell you to do and you should have no problem.

Good luck,

Marty

8. Light Traveler

Light Traveler Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Somewhere out there...
    You'll do fine. Just take your time, listen to the instructor, and apply what you've learned. I remember the first time I drove. I had the hardest time coordinating my shift hand with my clutch foot! I remember thinking that double-clutching was the dumbest and hardest thing to do in a truck. Why couldn't they just make the transmission like cars!!?

But after about a week of grinding and missing gears, I learned to like it. And then by the second week, I began to love it! Then you'll learn defensive driving, backing, coupling, etc, and you'll do just fine.

See it's not hard, just unfamiliar. Finally, just take a minute and think. Now I want you to look at all the trucks rolling down the highway. If those other men and women can do it, surely you can too!

Try these free online CDL testing sites: http://www.cristcdl.com/otc/
    http://members.aol.com/steve190/cdl.html Good luck!:thumbup:

9. midget28

Jan 10, 2007
    What Cheer Iowa
    what all tests do u have to take to get ur permit? for a class A

10. midget28

Jan 10, 2007
    What Cheer Iowa
    thanks for the link ive been doing every practice test and im only missing on average 1 per 3 tests on the knowledge part. I think i might try and get my permit b4 I start the program just so I can skip that hassle.

11. midget28

Jan 10, 2007
    What Cheer Iowa
    Well I got my permit friday and start cdl school tomorrow and besides being nervous im doing ok.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.