Schools that don’t do classroom

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by jetsetjosh, Jul 28, 2021.

1. natedogg323

natedogg323 Light Load Member

May 4, 2007
    Detroit, Mi
    Is this how super truckers are born??

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    Not at all. The question was about classroom. That means school. The point of school is not to teach you how drive, it is solely to get you to pass the CDL exam so how much classroom do you really need?

As for later, I don't care whether you're with a trainer for 2 weeks or 4 months the real learning begins when you get out of the trainers truck and there is a difference between training and being part of a very cheap team.

4. natedogg323

natedogg323 Light Load Member

May 4, 2007
    Detroit, Mi
    I get ya and I agree the real training and learning begins on the road with a trainer. However, I don’t think we (as an industry) puts enough value on the classroom and in school training. What a effort a person puts in will show when they get out on the road. Spending 4 weeks in school isn’t going to hurt ANYBODY. That’s my point..why cut corners coming into an extremely dangerous job?

5. Green461

Green461 Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    I purchased my truck, had brother drive it home because i didnt have CDL. Went to DMV took written test and got temps... drove around town for a couple weeks with him to practicing shifting and studied the CDL manual from the DMV along with watched a few youtube videos for going over the pretrip inspection.... scheduled a road test with someone that was on the DMV's list of testers and done... CDL cost me $100. Everything you need to know you can obtain for free. Only reason i could see going to a school is lack of equipment and dont know anyone with... but the hours involved and cost is insane.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  6. Moronica

Moronica Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2020
    95% of people who want to get their CDL can't go out and buy a truck, have no access to a truck and trailer , or even know someone with a CDL who is in a position to help them get their CDL.

But yes, all the book learning material is online and free.

7. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Almost all of it with Wilson. The training is based on you driving, while the trainer is in jumpseat. After you get your CDL you go back out with that trainer, or another, for more experience eventually to running like a team but with an experienced 2nd driver if you need a bailout.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  8. seamutt

seamutt Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2021
    I'm new myself, but I'm pretty sure that in many (most?) states attending a school is a requirement. Here in Washington state you need to have a minimum of 160 hrs in a certified/licensed school before you can drive test for a Class A CDL.

Rollr4872 Thanks this.
  9. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    The school I went to was more like 5 hours behind the wheel, 15 hours on paperwork plus dumb videos, and 140 hours watching the other guys back.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.