Scoop on USA Truck OTR and Working for them

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by Jarheaddriver, Jan 30, 2008.

1. dgarrett0008

dgarrett0008 Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Riverdale, Georgia
    Hey truckers, I recently graduaed from c1 and will be going to orientation next week. Can someone tell me some things about USA, such as how many mile I can expect to average, the atitudes of fm's, and any other information you feel a newbie should know. Thank you for the insight:biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dgarrett0008

Jun 18, 2009
    Riverdale, Georgia
    Well I personally wouldn't mind going.......thats one of the perks of being a trucker in my eyes getting to trael places and tell stories....(good and bad)

4. digz77

digz77 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Indiana
    Yep I could tell a few stories bout ya lol
    This is Chicago
    LOL nice to see ya made it....:biggrin_25515:

5. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    U.S. citizens do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, the U.S. government recently instituted the requirement for you to have one to re-enter the U.S.

6. fd720

fd720 Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Sumter, SC
    read all the posts about usa and you will get your info

dgarrett0008 Thanks this.
  7. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I merged your question into a couple other ongoing threads
    Go back and read
    Some good info

We do have a search feature
    It can be found third from the right on the site tool bar
    Good luck:biggrin_25519:

8. dgarrett0008

Jun 18, 2009
    Riverdale, Georgia

9. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I guess any advice I could give other newbies is:
    1.) get a bank account with an ATM card.
    2.) Have about a grand in the account so you don't have to worry day to day.

A bunch of guys I met early on had just about tapped all their funds out just going to school. And they were asking for cash advances (there are fees & surcharges), asking relatives to wire them money (time consuming finding a Western Union in a city you've never been to before), and generally being upset about their first couple of checks.

Actually, your pay durring training will be more stable than when you first get your own ride. I think it's about $50/day gross. So you'll see about $275 a week. But when you get your own ride you may see you checks being significantly lower. So have a cushion in your account.

Also buy a case or two of bottled water, it should fit in the dog box. (does on the 94k's) you're gonna get thirsty so you might as well get the best price you can. I suppose you could store and re-fill the bottles, but I don't bother.

I dunno. A few tips for rookies.

Oh and if you get Charlie N (Newmaur?) at the Dayton Orientation. Tell him "he's famous". He's a cool guy and I wanna bust his chops a bit. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
    dgarrett0008 and Baack Thank this.
  10. sosoul2

sosoul2 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Saint Louis Mo.
    I am currently attending Nu-Way training in St Louis I'm having trouble double clutching and my 90 is not that perfect does anybody have any suggestions for meI've driven a large vehicle for 13 yrs public transportation to be exact so I'm thinking that's most of my problem but I haven't given up

11. IUFAN87

IUFAN87 Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    I feel your pain. It just takes practice. You will get the hang of it. I had trouble the first couple days (it was bad). I am just finishing up my first week OTR after starting work. My first day over the road I dumped the whole double clutch idea and just started floating the gears after watching my trainer do it. It's ALOT easier to do and ALOT easier on my old knee. Being in school you will most likely be forced to double clutch then when you get out in the real world you can start doing it the "right way". The only time I use the clutch now is for taking off, stopping, and occasionally to get out of gear with a heavy load. Otherwise my left foot never leaves the floor during upshifting and downshifting. Good luck!

x_nail_driver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.