Screwed Myself By Job Hopping

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by doubleA96, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Chr1s

Chr1s Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2021
    The smaller companies worth driving for that require 3-5 years experience do care. At least in my area. No more than 3 jobs in the past 5 years a local tanker company has as their requirements. They make over $80K a year home every day mon-fri. I have no idea why people hop from one mega corporation to another instead of sticking it out where they started with and moving on after a year or two.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    How did you come to know what most companies practice is about not caring for employees? or are you just making assumptions to try and make your ridiculous points So I’m guessing you care about your employees by doing what,going to there house and cutting there grass while there out?Or paying there gym membership to help them keep up with there health.I always like it when people just make up something then try to act like there facts.Trucking isn’t even in the top 10 of jobs with the worst turnover rate.Whether or not you believe it trucking isn’t just a few major truck load carriers

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  4. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    To the OP: try sticking to the next job for at least a year. Almost EVERY trucking job will seem like a b.s. factory until you have a year in. Too many new things flying at you, lots of new loads and routes and docks and people. Once you've been somewhere for a year, things usually start getting easier.

I've only been truckin fer 7 years, but I'm still with the original outfit. I've been working real jobs fer 37 years and I'm on Job #5.

It may be a generational thing. I've got friends my age who've only had 1 or 2 employers in their lives. I have friends in their 30s who are on Job #15.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  5. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Well, give us a link so we can read it!

Please do--sounds like excellent reading.

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I'll just ignore the rest of your post as ignorance, but I'd really enjoy seeing you name one industry with a higher turnover rate than the trucking industry. You must know of at least 10 according to your post, right?

7. Chr1s

Chr1s Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Construction, retail, and food service to name a few. The trucking industry as a whole has a low average of turnover statistically considering that 84% of active DOT #s are owner operators, and only 53% of the trucks on the road are operated by mega carriers.

Edit: I wouldn’t say the average is low by any means, but it’s not the worst.

8. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    thank god I thought I took the record for driver jobs in a year not looking down on anyone it happens all happened pretty fast left a good gig and saw potential money instead was constantly broke down then left and job after job wasn't any better. I had even more when was a welder and plumber though, to be honest, most are based on gigs how long took to complete the next job. I was offered a job at Tyson foods as a driver unfortunately I broke a toe and was unable even take it still hurts moving around i'll be taking it but my woman wants it to heal fully before attempting to go back to work due to rushing in before from past injuries.

Someone people may recommend a job but make sure you weigh all your options before taking a lowball offer from an iffy company. one wanted me to take .32 CPM they don't pay detention for the company. I would sooner go back to welding than take just .32 CPM even with all the injuries I have and trust me I have more than most professional football players have. The point is don't sell yourself short

gekko1323 Thanks this.
  9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    In 2013 the turnover in construction was 20-38%,

Lower Your Construction and Skilled Employee Turnover

The turnover rate in retail varies wildly depending on who is generating the statistics, but for argument's sake I picked the highest I could find at 60%.

Retail Turnover Rates In 2018 | DailyPay

As far as the food industry is concerned, most US restaurant workers are in fast food businesses, which traditionally is a stepping stone until a better job comes along. Most are part time, make minimum wage, and do everything possible not to work there very long. Workers in non-fast food type restaurants receiving benefits and getting better pay have a much lower turnover rate.

I realize Mega carriers are around half of the trucks on the road, but as I stated in my earlier post, the turnover rate in small to medium sized carriers is still at 74%.

10. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    It's a downward spiral. The more jobs you leave the less your chances are of getting hired by a good company. One thing to avoid is the ones that do a quick 5 minute talk and then start talking about orientation starting Monday. When you start asking questions you will get the run around. Avoid these places at all costs. It's just a revolving door.

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    An industry with a higher turnover than trucking? Can't say. Industries with high turnover rates in general? All of them.

nadiyah2000 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.