Securement equipment.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Czar_Zero, May 1, 2018.

1. Czar_Zero

Czar_Zero Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Orebegone.
    Reaching out to all of you seasoned open deck gurus. As someone who takes the dark-arts of flat bed pulling seriously, and who wants to learn to do it correctly, I'm suspicious that my company rig may be lacking in helpful tools of the trade.

Here's the setup:

40 foot flatbed.
    12 Winches total, 6 per side. (5.5k rated)
    More straps than winches, plus I have two ratchets.
    1 (one) chain, the length of which I cannot remember off of the top of my head as I write this.
    1 (one) snap binder.
    4 plastic edge protectors (need more...way more)
    No dunnage storage. Since I don't haul "general freight" (always load in company yard) I just grab dunnage from the yard as I need it and bring it back strapped to the deck after I offload.
    No bungee cords. Haven't had a situation where I've needed them. (No tarping, for example).

That's it.

So here's what I haul or have the potential to haul:

A lot of PVC pipe of assorted diameters and lengths. Easy stuff always banded/bundled. Think sewer, conduit, etc.

Various things which are either on pallets or in crates.

Ductile Iron Pipe.

Various concrete items. Catch basins, man holes, man hole adapters. etc.

Concrete Pipe.

So here's my question...

What needs to be improved in regards to securement equipment? I've made some noise about wanting more winches, because unfortunately my place of work likes to try to hammer 10lbs of stuff into a 5lb sack. I've also made some noise about more chains/binders for concrete pipe securement. From what I've read from the FMCSA, concrete pipe is supposed to be tied down with chains not straps.

Came to the conclusion today while loading my trailer that things are lacking (in more ways than what's contained in this post, but some of that may be for another time..).

Many thanks!

Signed,

Flatbed n00b.

stumptown and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opendeck

Opendeck Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Edge protection. 12" squares of rubber, like old mudflaps. Cut up old straps into 8-12" strips to place under straps. Scrounge some wood and use old straps to make V boards. Doesn't necessarily have to cost the company money to provide.

I'd think 6-10 16-20' chains and binders would be good. 10-16 straps. 4-6 2" straps and hand ratchets. Couple 1"x12' or 16' to round it out.

Bungees for tying up loose excess chain, or zip ties. Duct tape or zip ties for excess strap.

There's no one size fits all answer but it sounds like yer cupboard is pretty bare

FishFanatic27 and Czar_Zero Thank this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Triangular chocks cut from 4 by 4, nails, hammer.

Good to prevent cylindrical stuff chasing you.

LoneCowboy, kylefitzy and Czar_Zero Thank this.
  5. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    You never have enough straps, or winches. I have 20 winches, and two hand straps. My last load I had to use them all. I carry 12 chains and binders which I have also had a load that used them all. I don’t carry dunnage unless requested to bring some. Have a couple dozen carpet squares for edge protection, and some steel ones for real sharp stuff.

Czar_Zero, FishFanatic27 and Gunner75 Thank this.
  6. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I second having more wench's and straps. Our standard step decks and regular flats have around 20 wenches, if not more, plus each truck ia given a compliment of 16 portable wenches as well.

Czar_Zero and Gumper Thank this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I don't think you'll ever see a load of standard concrete pipe secured with chains. Straps usually work just fine. Chains could chip away at the concrete. If you're securing through the pipe. Most shippers won't even allow chains.

But I guess that depends on the pipe. If you're hauling those big pipes or boxes then probably chains.

Some companies do have some type of cable to help securement from front to back.

You're probably supplied with standard equipment to what your company generally hauls. And they've been in business longer then you've worked there. We don't know what you haul. What your loads are. Could you use more. Maybe. Would the company tell you to pound sand. Probably.

Most companies won't replenish unless your equipment is no good anymore and can't be used.

Edge protectors are cheap and if your creative. Can devise your own protectors. Creativity is key here.

There's been a few times I've actually bought my own stuff. AT home where prices are cheaper. Sometimes from swapmeets and online. Couple of peaces at a time for some things. I got to the point where i got tired of asking. It all sits in the garage now as i no longer flatbed.

8. Czar_Zero

Czar_Zero Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Orebegone.
    Company didn't tell me to pound sand, actually. Quite the opposite. I don't work for one of those places where I don't have a voice because I haven't worked there for years. When I was talking to the boss man this morning, he told me he wanted me to be vocal and he's more than happy to hear out anything I have to say. How the truck I drive is operated/loaded/secured is 100% my call. Why? Because it's my driver's licence. Period. He's all good with that.

Anyway,

I'm getting 10 more winches to put on the trailer. Also have another chain and binder on the truck now. Talked about the pipe thing as well, and company procedure is chain on 1st/last pipe (with protection to prevent chipping of the concrete). Straps every where else as required, plus chocking.

Edge protection is something I've been creative with. I've recycled the thick cardboard edge protectors that come on a lot of the product we have, but still I'm getting a box of edge protectors to put in one of the trailer side boxes so I always have some on hand.

Have plenty of hammers in my toolbox at home so I'm going to take one for the truck as well as a box of nails.

Bungees are cheap, and since I need some at home I'll buy a box and take some to work with me.

LoneCowboy and cke Thank this.
  9. Opendeck

Opendeck Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Get double headed nails

Czar_Zero and mpd240 Thank this.
  10. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    a plastic peanut butter jar to store the nails is a good idea.

Czar_Zero Thanks this.
  11. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Czar_Zero Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.