Securing dedicated work for an Owner Operator?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by LpEnt, May 29, 2024.

1. LpEnt

LpEnt Bobtail Member

May 29, 2024
    I’ve had my authority 4 months now and every time I pick up a load near home I inquire if they may have anything dedicated. They all seem to tell me that I have to go thru the broker. Anybody got some advice on securing dedicated work..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Look for smaller companies, large companies like brokers, they hand them a list and a price is hashed out, then they dont have to deal with it beyond handing their broker another list.

Cold calls and sales is a pain, but how do you expect to find direct work?

Its not like youve gotten every job you put in an application for right? And buisnesses dont get all the work they bid on. Rejection is part of the game. At least if you call or drop in and leave a card, they have your number if they happen to remember you.

Studebaker Hawk, cke, TX2Day and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Iamoverit

Iamoverit Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    Put your sales pants on and learn to grease palms. No offense, but unless you're specialized you don't have much to offer as a single truck carrier doing general freight.

The best direct work I had during my time as a carrier was from literally paying the guy a percentage of the invoice to him directly. I billed however I saw fit and he got 20 percent of it (except for accessorials like tolls.)

Even with that deal, it was still incredibly difficult for me to secure. I took me years to get it and I learned it all from a former employer I drove for who was also one of my competitors once this arrangement was in place with the customer.

Siinman Thanks this.
  5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Gotta love good honest hard work. You should go into govt work....

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    cke, kylefitzy, Opendeckin and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    May just be the way you written your post…. but if not, generally, you don’t ask a freight payer if they have anything dedicated for you. It’s about them, not you. What can you do for them? Can you tackle their lanes that they have a hard time getting covered? Sometimes the business will go through a broker to get loads covered, and I broke her with a hard time getting loads going to very bad areas where nobody wants to go Lane that you will be at a loss because there’s no good freight coming back. Those are the ones you should target. You should target for a loss from the get-go that your way in do that for a couple months or a few years and you’ll get almost all the freight you can handle. It sounds like a lot of sacrifice, it is. If you’re unable to do it you’re probably not gonna make it as a carrier. Why….that’s what I’m doing. I am your competition.

Can you do it cheaper? Do you have better communication? Sometimes you gotta eat a lot and a whole bunch of headache just to get your foot in the door. Do I mean like five loads no, maybe a couple years. Once you’ve been there, go to guy for their tough lanes. The easy ones will come your way as well. Earn the business. Earn the business….. Earn the business.

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    eprice48, Jed2009, bryan21384 and 5 others Thank this.
  7. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    If you're picking up a load through a broker and then asking the shipper for freight, you may run into a back solicitation problem.
    Then you'll have a tough time getting any loads from brokers.
    Consider yourself lucky that the shippers just told you to go through the broker instead of telling them about your back solicitation.

8. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    Exactly what I was thinking. You sign a contract and then you go back on it as quick as you can. Not cool.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Who are they?

If they are large companies, then you have to find the decision makers and as one said grease some palms.

You are a single truck company, there is no guarantee of performance with just one truck. Five maybe but not one.

wis bang and 86scotty Thank this.
  10. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    IMG_6890.gif
    “Hey Bruh, here to see if you gots any dedi.. Dedicat…
    Any steady work?”

11. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    One of the reasons as to why I froze my Authority & Leased onto a Carrier besides the Spot Market taking a dive in late 2022. The custom told me they need so much trucks for their loads not wanting to rely on a broker. So I started networking and the Manager connected me with the Owner of that company who kept telling me they have an abundance of product. I told then we can negotiate a direct Shipment contract through my lawyer for their overflow and they we happy. Then give me the Brokers contact to go through them!. :rolleyes:

Right away I was thinking (a) they didn't understand what a direct shipping contract with a carrier was or (b) the Broker probably told them 'anytime small carrier approaches them send them my way ('to the Broker')'...I eventually threw their contact in the trash.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.