Self Driving Trucks are Coming

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scottied67, Jun 11, 2019.

1. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    It will be in the right lane doing 46.5 mph. With four wheelers and other trucks stacked up behind it trying to get around it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    self-driving trucks are already on the road

it's no longer a question of if and when: it's here

WildTiger1990 and scottied67 Thank this.
  4. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    It's still a question of if and when. Parlor tricks do not equal profit. You'll see self-driving trucks only when it becomes profitable to run them. I think the big obstacle to that is going to be liability. If you think the tort lawyers are having a field day with trucking companies now, wait until there isn't even a driver to defend himself.

5. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Your right. Got passed by one yesterday on I 10. The driver had his headphones on, iPhone up on the steering wheel, no turn signals and weaving all over his lane! Not to mention running with the high beams on!

peterd, PoleCrusher and Eldiablo Thank this.
  6. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
  7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    TEST is a big word. Heck they have been testing similar things for years, and will continue to for years. You can bet that there will be a driver as attentive to the truck as any other trucks.
    They can test all they want, I doubt it ever happens on existing roads, with existing traffic.

peterd Thanks this.
  8. GlobalFM001

GlobalFM001 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Absolutely.
    The current infrastructure is in no way equipped to handle self driving trucks, true self driving trucks. And good luck convincing the government to spend money on road repairs/upgrades.

peterd and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  9. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    I talked to someone who helped design the Tesla electric car..If anyone knows the business it's him...After a lengthy conversation I asked him the big questions...When will it be legally and socially acceptable, along with having the technology "perfected" where we will be seeing cars driving around by themselves....He didn't even really hesitate and said 10 years...I then asked him what about 18-wheelers and he said the same time frame...This was sometime in the last year or so when I talked to this guy.

10. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    I just wonder what GPS is it based on top that what happens when it wants over a few lanes can't without killing someone misses and keeps driving down some road and there's a low bridge I can only imagine what happens next. That said their drivers who do same but the ones with any common sense see that 12ft bridge sign will pucker up and shut it down before hits that or be looking for a new line of work. I won't ever have a car drive me I would rather be in control of the beast instead it in control of me. You look at Rand McNally GPS while accurate ain't perfect.

Punch in address that's been there for years yet doesn't exist what it gonna do in that case just sit there or better yet will it find a similar address and go to an entirely different state I would imagine the carrier would love to see wasted fuel that's if everything else did work fine in bad weather, mountain driving and general public. how does a self-driving truck put on chains? answer be someone has be in the truck or you for sure gonna have a hell person in its path.

what about rain driving in cruise control alone in bad weather a recipe for something go wrong. I can't imagine they let the truck drive itself in any bad weather. You know even a sandstorm would mess it's instruments if the truck drives at say 65 and cars ahead doing 45 due to bad visibility due sandstorm or even rain seen them frontal instruments go crazy with poor visibility. Especially in a sandstorm idk something about it makes it go crazy. In short the truck will likely ram the cars ahead result in death I imagine someone will make money off that suit carrier, and the manufacture gonna lose money.

11. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Has this engineer ever actually driven a truck in all conditions? Have you ever worked on something that is just put together so stupid you hope the engineer gets AIDS? Engineers dont know #### about the real life applications of their ####, just look at the Northstar v8 engines, the starter is under the freaking intake, that's engineers and their brilliance.

starmac Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.