Serious question that needs an answer. Why do so many truck drivers just bend over and take it?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Jul 13, 2022.

1. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    Because a majority of people they hire too be truck drivers today are low class.
    we also import 1000x truckloads of junk from china vs 40 years ago

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Hmmmm.....I don't feel like I'm bending over and taking it. My ### hole is still intact never penetrated. I actually think it's easier now than when I first started. I may not have taken it up the ###, but from time to time I've had to eat ####.....just like you would have to in any profession. I never understand why drivers don't complain about something different. Tell me. What is it that you want? Let me guess, you want dispatch to know you by name instead of your truck number? You want the red carpet treatment? You want random people to come to you and say, "Thank you for being a trucker" just like they say, "Thank you for your service" to the military? You want that type of love? Sorry man. It ain't happening. Truckers should check the ego before getting on the road. These types of thoughts don't turn the miles man.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

In your grandfather's day you couldn't go out and start a new trucking company in the next 30 days. You had to prove to the Feds that there was enough need for moving freight from City A to City B that they should give you permission and approve what rate you charged to move that freight. Now you can take ANY civilian out of a SUV or a donkey cart in another country and give them a CDL before the end of the month.

Truck drivers wouldn't be useful to anyone unless their was freight to be moved, fuel to power the truck, people building the truck, etc. Pay is seldom reduced, it just doesn't increase as fast as other costs or it stays the same for a long time. Not EVERYTHING is worth quitting over. You make your choice, you don't get to make my choice.

5. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Those guys, from “back in the day“ had it a hell of a lot more rough than we ever could imagine today. Are you kidding? My uncle drove a truck his whole life. Started in the 1960s. He would think I’m a prima donna just with the equipment and luxuries I have inside my truck that he didn’t have. Yeah, we take some crapola out here, but nothing like they did.

6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Take all the luxuries out of your truck, XM radio, air ride suspension, air ride seat, power steering, AC, lump your own freight, change your own blowouts on the side of the road, fix anything that goes wrong on the side of the road, then come back and tell us how much nicer they had it back then. The only part of those days anybody wants to see back is the ability to pretty much drive the way you wanted to, that and the old greasy spoons that are all long gone.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Their pay was well above average because nearly every job was a union job, or at least the freight was cut up and divided among the companies and there was no poaching and undercutting freight rates. ABC Trucking had the contract for freight from this customer to that customer or from City A to City B. If the Feds thought you were undercharging to move freight you would be denied the route.

8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    You would not have half the people driving today without power steering, AC, or air ride. The rest of what I said would trim off another 20%. Then pay would start to go back up as it would be the only way they'd find drivers. The easier you make the job the less you have to pay to get it done, unless your employees are blackmailing you. The government should never have had any say in who gets to haul what where or for how much, price fixing is illegal even if the government is doing it.

Bean Jr., Boondock and tscottme Thank this.
  9. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Most drivers I know are ######## and won't accept anything but their own way. Sure some will let you do anything to them but most want only what's in their interest.

10. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    ^^what he said^^

Bean Jr. and Boondock Thank this.
  11. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Why are YOU taking it? I sure ain't.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.