Sheridan Logistics Group and percentage of load gross

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by allendriven, Mar 17, 2022.

1. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Late to the party but 1099 is a complete tax, liability dodge for them and a 'hang you out to dry' financially and legally option that only benefits the company. Either you're a company driver or you're not. As mentioned, the AB5 is about company drivers being called independent contrators, to save the company from having to get workmen's comp, paying taxes, etc. yet, the definition of independent contrator means you can take that equipment and do want you want...but you can't, it's theirs...so...either you're a company driver or you're not. HARD PASS on that 1099 horsehockey.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. allendriven

allendriven Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Wherever
    I've been using indeed for job searches for the better part of 4 years now and this last time around I would have to say that almost all of the small carriers and about three quarters of the mid-sized carriers that post on there are now 1099. Obviously the mega carriers don't post job openings on there got their own people for that.

4. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Definitely will be hosed. 22% of $15K load would be amazing but if it’s 22% of a $1500 back haul you are screwed. Percentage is nothing but a gamble if you don’t know what they could be booking. Another thing I’ve heard of is guys getting a percentage of a lower rate then the company actually got. Deceitful but it happens. If I was taking that position I wouldn’t do it for anything less than hourly.

5. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Look, if you could get someone to ask you for a job, that allows them to pay you to hire them would you take it? That's exactly what a 1099 is. You're paying them to work for them and be told what to do by them. But by all means, if you think you need to do this, help yourself. There is no better teacher than experience, but if you can't smell the stank from this, you may need to be burned to understand...and so be it. Good luck.

seawind Thanks this.
  6. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    You could try Rhett Butler Trucking outta Bama as well if you want to get into military-RGN based work. Or XLG out of Indiana.

See those two hauling military a lot.

Rugerfan, Oxbow and CAXPT Thank this.
  7. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Just to give you a better idea of what you're getting into, here's a quick link and definition/explanation:
    Independent Contractor Income
    Independent contractors do not receive W-2s from clients or companies they work for independently because they are not considered employees. Instead, a contractor receives 1099 (MISC most commonly) for every job over $600 that they complete during the tax year. The government requires that organizations send their independent contractor's 1099-MISC forms by January 31st, indicating the income paid to each contractor over the prior year. Examples of people who receive 1099s are:

• Freelance writers
    • Artists
    • Working on a contract basis
    • Lyft or Uber Driver
    As an independent contractor, you have the right to control what you work on and how it will be done. Any independent contractor may receive at least one 1099 form every year.

Any jobs under $600 don't require a 1099, but the income must be accounted for. As far as taxes are concerned, independent contractors have to pay their taxes in full. Unlike with a regular job, taxes in independent contracting jobs are not deducted from the amount paid. This means the contractor must pay their taxes in full. If more than $1,000 in taxes are owed, the contractor must sign up for quarterly tax payments. An independent contractor needs to estimate his/her tax liability based on the most recent quarter and use a 1040-ES form to make payments.​
    You can find more information and this reference here: Whats a 1099: Everything You Need to Know

Now, notice that you're required to file taxes yourself, now add, workmen's comp that is required of an independent contractor (which if you noticed the above definition, does NOT apply to you) and also note, that many times, the equipment you operate will have to be maintained by you, fuel, in other words, they consider you an Owner/Operator, without the benefits of being one.

Look long and hard at this, and decide if you're this hardup for a job, with the plethora of them out there, if you want to be this kind of sucker.

8. allendriven

allendriven Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Wherever
    Everyone has given me a lot to chew on. Need to do some serious thinking.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Like I said, if you want to take the job with the idea that you're going to learn everything you can as fast as you can and then take your experience to a better company you might be on the right track.
    If they'll train you and let you keep expanding your job skills, go for it.
    Otherwise, look for somebody who'll be honest with you.

Rugerfan and CAXPT Thank this.
  10. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Late to the party here but anytime I hear 1099 I head for z hills. I’d never work 1099 as a company driver. If you want RGN experience in Cali look at Teresi out of Lodi. Tons of Military work. I assume ran for Lowrie hauling hay. Used to work for them 7-8 years ago.

stwik, Oxbow, CAXPT and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. seawind

seawind Medium Load Member

May 8, 2009
    West Tennessee
    I am there with you. I tried years ago to learn about this company with no success. Have you learned anything else??

CAXPT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.