"Shop fees"

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kenworth6969, Jun 27, 2022.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm really starting to hate truckers more and more as I read through this thread. You ####ers expect to be paid brain surgeon bucks but heaven forbid a guy who's spent years honing his skills and building a business should earn a decent living?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m sure Corporate will give you some nice polite explanation. Maybe a discount. Probably not. I doubt you’ll change their Business Practices, It will just be wasted time. I’ve noticed signs stating % of Labor charge is added to invoice for shop supplies, after the posted hourly rate in many Shops. It’s Industry Standard practice. Along with disposal fees, etc. posting it, may depend on each State’s Laws. I’m reminded of an old friend’s experience. About 20 yrs ago at Peterbilt in Wi. After commenting on the “Shop Cleaning Fee”. He says I’ll sweep the whole Shop, and take out the trash for that amount. Then he notices a special Stadium Tax. What’s this? Oh it’s a new tax to pay for the Packers new stadium. Lol, he was fit to be tied!!! Saying, “ I’m not even a fan” Lol.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  4. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Shops can charge whatever they want.
    I don't have an issue with that.

Lets use that barber shop.
    You walk and ask how much a haircut is and they say $20, then when the bill comes it says $30 because of a shop fee added on.
    That "shop fee" wasnt even listed on anywhere in the barber shop.

I'm sure some in here will say those scissors and and razor blades get dull over time and they deserve a shop fee and to hide it from the customer until the end! :rolleyes:

5. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I'am with ya 100%
    Don't go hate'n on me because if I'am broke down and I'am loaded & I can't get it fixed myself ..I..will.do just like what @blairandgretchen did..
    Like I mentioned in a earlier post .. They all want to piss & moan about how evil a service tech. Or repair shop is..
    But those are the same guys that won't crawl under their own truck. But spend a fair amount of time crying about how a broker tried hose'n them on a load they called on.. and it's the same story all the time everybody else is getting rich off them

6. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    So your saying that if I have a repair shop and you shell out your transmission and your truck is sitting in my parking lot & your ask me what the bill is going to be ...BEFORE .. I even get it my shop ? Even though I haven't put a wrench to it or shined a shop light on it ?
    Basically your saying your not gonna pay 1 dime more than what I write up on the service order ,?
    A simple YES or No.. will suffice as a answer

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If he's earning a decent living why is he scamming customers by lying to them on the cost?

8. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    You're comparing a transmission job to an swapping out an air line.
    You should know better than that.

Might as well say how dare you ask how much it would be for an oil change.

9. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    Your right.. I should know better.. then let's go with your oil change Is scenario I quote you 210.00.. for a oil change.. and I charge you 235.00 when I am done because there's 20.00 Disposal fee for the used oil& filter.. and 5.00 for the shop towels and floor dry... now are you only gonna pay me the 210.00 I quoted you for the oil change or not pay me period?
    You asked me about the price of the oil change .. not the total cost of the oil change !

10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Don't hate me - I'm with you 100%.

Some of these a-holes . . . .

11. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I just paid a guy 350 bucks for the two clamps I had put on and cut the other two off. Was very happy to pay him since he had parts on hand and did some work that saved my ### last winter. This was a $50 job at most, I could had done with the clamps. Could had bought the clamps off him as well as he offered. Figured he had the parts and needs the money just like I do. Easy jobs are the best for guys that work there ### off. I told him this will be your easiest job to date. Good mechanics are hard to come by. I treat them like gold.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.