Should cpm be changed to hourly for all drivers?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Dan.S

Dan.S Light Load Member

May 10, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Dan.S Thanks this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    You mentioned Sysco. I worked for 7up/Snapple delivering drinks to convenient stores. You're right about management riding your tail. You gotta get those drinks off and your pay is mainly based on how many cases are ordered for your route and get delivered. There was hourly pay, 3 dollars and change per hour. To me that's super stressful. So if OTR goes hourly, that's what will happen, just like a previous poster said it would be minimum wage, i would say half of minimum wage. That way, you miss your appt, the company isnt at a loss. Or other companies would become prickish and micromanage, probably crack the whip, also crediting a previous poster's thoughts.

Hotplate and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Not sure if anyone is willing to pay me 120 per hour, since I can log 60 miles and let’s say at average if $2 per mile in the current market.

What happens when rates drop? Do you think companies will keep the $120 per hour guy? Not at all either he takes a major pay cut or is pink slipped.

bryan21384 and dwells40 Thank this.
  6. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Ahh, my guys are MORE than THREE times that minimum wage figure for ALL hours on the clock, we pay the same for detention AND downtime.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  7. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    I have read thru all of these responses and I keep hearing the same thing about it all comes down to the same pay at the end of the day/week/month, I really can't agree with that, at least in my world, the MAIN reason we did it was NOT because we were trying to beat the system, or come up with a better mousetrap, and I am FAR from saying that hourly pay is the ONLY way to go, it works for us, may not for others, I am not advocating it for everyone.

I just saw a couple of years ago that there were things beyond the drivers control, no matter how well you plan your day that were causing my guys to lose miles, I have sat in line for fuel for almost a hour, I have sat in traffic backups for construction that seem to be in the middle of no where, I have had to spend extra time searching parking even thou there is a new truckstop being built everyday, we get held up at auctions, Toll booths and weigh stations every day, there are more people and cars and trucks that affect almost everything we do, WHY should my driver be expected to shoulder that burden, that is why you have guys blowing thru construction sites at 20 mph over the posted speed, that is all I am saying.

8. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    CPM pay results in no accountability for the carrier, shipper, or consignee since the driver’s time costs them practically nothing. It can also be abused by carriers paying HHG miles, shag runs, and lengthy live load/unloads.

Your argument has the presumption that hourly employees have no requirement to produce satisfactory work and I completely disagree.

9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Everybody I've known in this business getting paid hourly drags their feet to get more hours and overtime. I don't blame the industry for fighting it because most people will game the system.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

11. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    A couple of things.
    There are no wage laws in the transportation industry. That includes aviation and railroad.
    To many try to paint the trucking industry with a broad brush. What may be a good pay scale for one type, won’t work with another type.
    It all boils down to what the individual driver thinks his labor is worth.

Lepton1, Dan.S and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.