Should I ask for an inspection so brokers will work with me?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Big Road Skateboard, May 8, 2022.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I'm in the middle on this one.

If I've got time - I just love to visit with folks. Especially law enforcement (THE OLDER I GET).

Go in to a scale house and feel them out sometime. Good inspections are beneficial to both you and - ticks off the workload of the scale officer.

Sure, you're poking a hornets' nest, but if you have a long enough stick and good legs to run away with . . .

Calculated risk.

Seriously - they're gals and dudes with the same stupid jobs we have. We can run over a car if we feel like it, they can ruin our day if they feel like it. Generally, neither happens in real life. Take a pizza in and see what happens. Everybody loves pizza.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    This is strange in 5 years including when we ran sand we've only been inspected 2 times never had a broker ask

4. Mohtrucker

Mohtrucker Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2019
    I’ve had two brokers tell me that so far & was wondering the same thing but I’m only one guy & run a older truck . Plus being in Texas majority of the times . Only inevitable

5. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    ive been fortunate, had 2 real inspections with zero discrepancies in the last year, one was pulled in on scale in Lamar Colorado and the other was stopped in Miss. on I-10
    Both DOT were awesome and friendly and went through all my stuff and big me a fond farewell.
    When I’m first started I was headed to pick up my trailer and wasn’t even ready to pull freight and didn’t have my DOT number on the side and I was still waiting for IFTA (Should have bought a temp permit but since I didn’t consider myself working I did not lolol lesson learned). That DOT Officer acted like I was carrying 10 pounds of Meth and 45 pounds of Turkish Hash. I’m always friendly with them and he was apparently not having a good day. Luckily it did not count as any points.

it was an eye opener though once I really thought about it. One bad inspection as a single truck carrier can be pretty bad deal. Especially when I was just starting out. Now that I had a couple good ones then I’m not as worried but still it takes one dude who really needs to write someone up before he gets off that day to make things bad. A truck signed on with a large entity with hundreds of trucks can sustain all sorts of hits and not break a sweat as far as affecting themselves as badly. I do agree with something @blairandgretchen said once is he welcomes them to inspect. Things should always be kept up to par.

I guess I’m just distrusting of the government for the most part on certain things and I have a slew of K9 officer friends and have trained dogs for and with them for years.

6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    It could be just fluke timeing that your not pulled in for an inspection,maybe your or your company has a good rep and your trk looks to be in good shape so your not bothered....
    If a broker has an issue with that then thats their issue..

7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    This would make for an excellent YouTube video my friend. Film A to Z and make it an educational video. You’d get a ton of views I’d guess. My guess is 10,000 other new ops are wondering the same thing.

8. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Take Pizza with Jalepeno on it so if they give a bad inspection maybe they will pay for it later…

9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I wouldn’t let brokers make my business decisions for me. Tell them they'll need to have a 150k bond instead of that measly 75k the Feds make them have. See how they like it when you spin the table on them.

10. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Same here. I've never had a broker ask and if they did I wouldn’t take kindly to it at all.

11. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I don't. I make the best business decisions I can. That includes doing everything I can to make sure I can find a load whenever and wherever I need it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.