Should I be on duty or off duty

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mohtrucker, Nov 10, 2019.

1. King Michael

King Michael Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2018
    Sitting
    He's on the shoulder of an interstate... No one relieved him of duty. This is an on duty situation...
    After the tow truck shows up, and after the triangles are picked up, then and only then can he go legally off duty.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. King Michael

Nov 20, 2018
    If you are in a truck stop, and not fixing it yourself .. . Then it's off duty.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Yup. I learned something.

If you can easily manage to get to an exit ramp that allows parking, get there. Otherwise your clock is screwed.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    the trick to truck stops in high crime areas is to have grown up in a higher crime area

FlaSwampRat and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  6. King Michael

Nov 20, 2018
    Federal Marshalls aren't going to do anything for you. It's a myth that they'll intervene. They only time they might stop to help you is if they happen to see something as they are driving by.

7. Detel555

Detel555 Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2020
    If you have a sleeper berth to go too, then it is perfectly valid as your status. If your company has no problem with you sitting in the berth napping or playing video games, they are giving you permission to relieve yourself.

As such is the case, dot has nothing to question so long as you log as sleeper berth, and it also applies to docks. There is an overlap in the law that has not been clearly defined, because lawmakers are not truck drivers. Sleeper berth is perfectly valid.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No, it's true. A driver in North Carolina verified it. A friend of his was told he had to unload his own load at a grocery warehouse. He said that's not legal and called the Federal Marshal Service. Within minutes they showed up and some of them were still in their pajamas. They locked down the grocery warehouse and made the warehouse employees unload the truck.

Opus and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  9. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I thank i was there when that happened. Some agent in there pj’s had really big guns

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I am not trying to start an argument with you. I would suspect that driver in NC was pulling on your leg OR told you a half-truth. Federal Marshals have two basic jobs. They carry out orders from Federal Judges and they arrest and handle prisoners. In fact, Federal Marshals have no authority to force anybody to load or unload a truck. This is ONLY something a Federal Judge or Federal Magistrate can order. Do you have any idea how many times I have sat and listened to a person talk about how the Marshals investigated the Banning Scales and shut them down? Let me put it this way if I had a dollar for every time I could buy a large steak dinner with all the trimmings. Every time you hear a driver mention the words Federal Marshals a switch inside you should switch off.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I know it wasn't true, but what I posted was exactly what that driver was saying. He was convinced I was believing him.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.