Should I knock on this dude’s door or no?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by twelve25oh9, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    I actully got pretty badly poisoned one time from a guys rough running truck. I carry a 02 and c02 detector now. Ive had them go off a few times over the years and once had one caterwall at me enough to wake me up when an old 3rd world scrapper special pulled in next to me and smoked me out of my cab. Got out sick as a dog and had to just breathe for a good hour.

Ffx95, Mototom, Pamela1990 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That's a pretty rough situation to be in. Luckily you were able to move to a different spot. That's a disadvantage of parking at truck stops sometimes. It don't always amount to the best sleep. I never understood guys that idled all night when the temp is just right to shut the motor off. I guess they sleep to the vibrations. I don't know. Unfortunately when I am parked next someone that disturbs my sleep, it ain't much I can do except to move or try to ignore it. I'll try to sleep at deliveries when I can, but it's good to try to have some hideouts in various place, that way you won't have to be solely reliant on truck stops.

BigBob410, Pamela1990 and Boondock Thank this.
  4. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Drop the trailer. Plenty of parking options for just the tractor.

5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Amazing we survived. Years ago we all drove trucks that you had to idle at 1000 rpms with no EGR, DEF or DPF to clean our exhaust. Windows and door seals that you had to jam towels in during a snowstorm to keep the snow out, hell, some of the trucks didn't even have air ride seats or air ride suspension..and we all survived. Modern drivers are so spoiled...they'd die if they had to drive some of the equipment we drove years ago.

mc8541ss, Tug Toy, Tall Mike and 15 others Thank this.
  6. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Today's "modern" drivers will have similar complaints 30-40 years from now. "Your autopilot isn't working?...back in my day we had to actually hold the steering wheel AND stay awake!!!".

7. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Tough guy rhetoric aside, it's an awkward situation all around.

twelve25oh9, JoeyJunk, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    I do that too.

Then sometimes I get triggered again when I wake up and someone illegally parked making it impossible to back out.

JoeyJunk and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  9. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I’ve driven my fair share of “old junk” and run a 1997 every day, the dryer blowing off every 30 seconds is the #1 thing that drives me nuts, try my hardest to stay out of truck stops though

JoeyJunk and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    How many of those old trucks had weed burner exhausts? What would kill you today would kill you 40 years ago just as easy.

And to the guy saying CO is an odorless gas, yes, but smelling the stuff that usually accompanies it is a pretty good tell.

Vampire, JoeyJunk and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Very little carbon monoxide comes out of an idling diesel engine. Gasoline engine different story.

Just move. You ain't getting a good night sleep either after getting into a shouting match with some third worlder about his POS truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.