Should I knock on this dude’s door or no?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by twelve25oh9, Dec 2, 2021.

1. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    There would truly be a drivers shortage if it was still like ‘the old days’

peterd Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Its one of those things. We hear about people getting shot mugged and robbed daily. However id say 99% of the people on this forum will never experince that themselves. It also varies on how agressive you are as well. If your a big fit and strong man with an agressive attitude that can be enough to intemidate people down or make a lot of problems look for an easier mark.....or it can lead to a lot of situations. If your fat small and weak then your an easy target and will attract a lot more eyes looking for an easy mark, though your also less likely to escalate problems and tend to avoid getting into bad situations.

A really basic example but you get the idea. It only takes 1 hothead to leave you dead or badly injured. Even if the other 99 people you confronted were reasonableish it only takes 1 and we see the news stories on here all the time.

gentleroger, Pamela1990 and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    True, especially since there was no room on the dash for a phone mount, gps, gopro mount so they can vlog(they rode too rough for a stable picture anyway), and there was no place to prop up a flip-flop wearing foot.

5. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    AS this comes up a lot, the outside temp that is good for you, may not be good for someone else. I've slept int he truck, not idling as low as 10 or 15 deg. overnight burrowed into my sleeping bag, but, when the outside temp is in the 60's, I want the a/c on as the truck gets hot/stuffy quickly, even at night.

MACK E-6 and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I don't mind a high idle, reefer or APU next to me. Thats just how it is in a truck stop.

Some purge valve popping off twice a minute is just plain ignorant and someone needs a whoppin.

twelve25oh9, kylefitzy and ncmickey Thank this.
  7. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Imagine what the pay would be?:D

ncmickey Thanks this.
  8. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    This is exactly why I avoid sleeping at truck stops if possible. Between the inconsiderate idiots and the guys who just decide to dump all their trash and piss containers in the parking lots. Makes all of us look bad.

noworrez, JonJon78 and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Your good man. We all get those days you just wanna strangle everyone Lol

twelve25oh9 and Elroythekid Thank this.
  10. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    I backed my reefer wagon into a spot late one afternoon and the young fellow in the truck I parked beside looked at me in horror much like as if I’d just spit on a little blonde girl. He proceeded to move to the other end of the lot next to a flat bed. I’ll be dam’d if another reefer didn’t beck in next to him again. Then I saw him backing in between two dry vans about 5 spots east of me. I remember thinking that he must not like to eat. I would conjecture that our newer reefer wagons don’t make anywhere near the noise of your garden variety APU.... BTW, this all happened at the Pilot at Oakwood, IL a few months ago. But, to the OP, I would have been annoyed too.

twelve25oh9 Thanks this.
  11. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I say suck it up, we’ve all been next to that truck. One of the first things I learned being out on the road is how to sleep through almost anything. In my opinion the only thing you should knock on her another drivers door for while he’s sleeping is if there’s an emergency or he’s blocking you in. Like if his truck was on fire or something. Because you don’t like his fumes? Man you’ll get a bad reaction.

And throwing this out there about the dentist comments, there’s a lot of jibber jabber out there amongst truckers. One reason I forgo a CB radio. I’ve been in my share of fights throughout my life. And yes I used to box. I’ve probably avoided a few fights by not having a CB. Lol I know myself. That said, every OTR driver is a “tough guy” reality is, most aren’t. Mentally tough, perhaps. But after years of being on the road, most of us aren’t going to step in the ring with Mike Tyson. Just saying.

dunchues Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.