Should I wait to become an Owner Op? Will truck prices lower?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Meriton1108, Jan 12, 2022.

1. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I'm in the same boat and just waiting it out. Everything thats going on in trucking right now seems chaotic. With semi truck prices nearly doubling in December I figured once this covid crap lowers hopefully by May.. June looks like a good time to purchase a truck & obtain my Authority. Everyone's situation is different but unless every load board shows me the average lane I'm gonna run is $4 to $5/mile im not buying a new truck for $250k to $300k because its not profitable. Less problems with a Newer truck with warranties so the rates have to be equivalent.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jed2009

Jed2009 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Midwest
    That’s a bad@$$ truck!! Looks awesome.

jamespmack and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  4. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    It's gonna take a lot longer than may or June for truck prices to come down. First there would have to be a good supply of new trucks. Then many months of guys asking high prices and NOT getting them.

5. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    A big failure point for many businesses owners is not having any patience . The market is cyclical give it a year or 2 then check back . These truck prices wouldn't be so high if these clam heads wouldn't pay 500k for a million mile truck

stuckinthemud Thanks this.
  6. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Thanks just don't get close. Its a work truck at best.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Thats what I have to say about the pic I posted. After it dries it looks like crap again. A freshly washed still wet truck is deceiving.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  8. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Truck prices are not going down anytime soon.

It's a perfect storm out there now.

It's hard just to get parts now, I've had to source used trucks parts when had some breakdowns.
    Dunno if it's true but shop told me part of the problem is truck manufacturers withholding parts to go towards new trucks because new builds are all messed up and delayed too.

It's all crazy now.

How are Rates going to go down soon when it's hard to get a truck?
    Plus it's not appealing to become a new truck driver as a student locked in a truck with a trainer with covid still out there.
    Then you have the effect of vaccine manadates being pushed on drivers, some quitting over that and less appealing to join industry over that.

Plus you've got inflation out of control, oil pricing rising with no end on thanks in part due to the unlimited fiat money printing and federal reserve not doing much of anything to combat inflation. All of which puts pressure on truck prices too.

9. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    All I got to say is ... Watch the stock market.. and the last week it's been about as stable as a 1 legged Crack Ho on 6" heels
    The guys with the tunnel vision out look have got a lesson coming..

Dino soar Thanks this.
  10. Jed2009

Jed2009 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Midwest
    They don’t need to be spotless to be ###### fellas!! Old school muscle with some character.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  11. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well I applaud you coming and asking first before diving in headfirst.

I would caution against buying some cheap worn-out truck because that can cause you more headaches and cost you more money than you could ever imagine if you don't know what you're looking at and especially if you can't repair it yourself.

Trucks are like women. If you think you're going to grab the first cheap one that you find that has a lot of mileage on it and think that's going to be good and dependable and not be problematic, think again.

Now if you know what you are looking for and you can spot a diamond in the rough and you have the knowledge and the ability to put some elbow grease into it then you can have something good.

So the best advice that I can give you is just make sure that you are financially ready whatever you do. This business has a way of looking like it's really easy, hey I'll just go get this and I'll go make money and look at me...

It pretty much is always going to cost more than you think and often it's a massive amount beyond what you think.

goga and Last Call Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.