Should us new guys be afraid of autonomous technology?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Crystale466, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    True but there are problems with satellite coverage. Bad weather still affects it even hundreds of miles away. A satellite in a bad position or a lag in transfering could cause a crash or be blocked by a tunnel or mountain and so on.. It is a step in that direction yes. But it will still take years for the coverage to be there in numbers enough to be reliable enough with our current tech.

GYPSY65 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    it will take years, but remember Starlink + local towers essentially make the system fool proof. Combine that with a minimum wage meatbag behind the wheel and you have your first autonomous vehicle.

Hell I’ll even go further and say some local governments might actually start employing homeless people who are down on their luck.

its like two birds one stone. You house them in the trucks and pay them minimum wage.

4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Personally, I like it. I'm not quite able to drive the truck while I'm a bat, but I'm close! Oh boy, you Kentuckians better watch your necks when that happens!

RockinChair, D.Tibbitt and 77fib77 Thank this.
  5. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Has anyone ever heard about remote air traffic control towers?

Remote Virtual Air Traffic Control Towers Are Coming to the U.S. - Aviation Today

I wonder if one day if it would be possible to have a offsite type semi truck setup
    that you would sit in and be able to drive a truck anywhere in the world from one location
    Imagine if you could switch the screen to a loaded truck in California and run it to Vegas and then switch screens again to run a different truck from Miami to Tampa

Maybe a device like this. Sorta like a video game is one day possible and able to have the “ feel “ of the road and obviously video in real time??

6. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Drones are flown remotely. From miles away. With the stroke of a pen the president could put us obsolete within one day

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If he could remember where he left his pen! :biggrin_2559:

8. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    He thinks his dogs ran off with it, but he can’t find them either.

9. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Too busy sticking razors in rain barrels and bounceing them off the concrete most likely. But in all seriousness even if he made it legal to have remote drone operated trucks today it would take a decade minimum to phase us all out. It would take several years just to retool the truck factorys to provide the volume needed, years to build the hardware and years more to sort out legal matters.

A more realistic threat is him decideing to ban all pre carb trucks and put a year cap on whats allowed on the road. If 5 years was the limit a lot of drivers would go bankrupt tomorrow.

10. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I tried one of those fancy simulators a few years back. Horrible idea. A good driver uses all of their senses. You lose so much by not being there. Depth perception is not easy when looking at a computer screen either.

11. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Good luck getting a better angle in the mirrors by leaning or being able to get out and look at ground conditions or obstructions.

GYPSY65 and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.