Should yearly hair follicle testing be mandated as a condition of retaining CDL

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by nredfor88, Nov 25, 2022.

Should yearly hair tests be required as a condition of retaining CDL?

1. Yes, testing should be required.

21 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No, testing should not be required.

58 vote(s)
    73.4%
  1. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I changed it for you.

nredfor88 and InTooDeep Thank this.
  4. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    How about an external catheter connected to a large tank with an inline testing module . Kill two birds with one stone , no more jugs loose in the cab, no pulling over every two hours, and the DOT can tell you if you how bad your cholesterol is when you roll through the coop hqdefault.jpg

5. MIT

MIT Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Don’t understand the focus on hair follicle testing. Why hair follicle why not urine or blood. Better yet why not a breathalyzer test every time you try and put your truck in drive?

6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Skills and knowledge test would probably be more effective. Along with mandating a method to disable cell phone use while in motion.

7. chrismcallister34

chrismcallister34 Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2022
    I don't think that it should be required by DOT and FMCSA. But I do think that every company should do it as part of their pre-employment. Urine drug tests shows what's been consumed in the past 30 days. Hair follicle test can be used to show a history of the individual if they are a drug abuser. If someone is addicted to drugs, a hair follicle test will show as a history of using drugs and/or abusing them. Someone that uses drugs, say marijuana for example, regularly, they can stop for 30 to 45 days in order to pass a urine test, And if a user is addicted to smoking marijuana, there's a chance they would relapse. A mandatory hair follicle test as pre-employment for companies could prevent a company from hiring someone that quits smoking just to pass a urine test, rather than being serious and committed and quitting for a year in order to pass a hair follicle. If someone really wanted to get their CDL and drive a truck loaded down with 80k pounds, then they would quit for a year or so in order to pass the hair follicle. So I think a hair follicle test should only be used as a pre-employment drug test for companies. But an accurate hair follicle test should be found, and be the only one used for every single company across the board. If every company uses the same brand and manufacturer of hair follicle tests, then I would think that it would be fair across the board. Some hair follicle tests are more accurate than others. So the most advanced and accurate hair follicle test has to be found, and that one should be the only hair follicle test every company would use. Companies wouldn't be allowed to choose which hair follicle test they administer.

All of this hypothetical, and in a perfect world, this theory would work.

8. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    I think all the regulators need fecal exams so we can tell just how full of #### they are.

9. chrismcallister34

chrismcallister34 Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2022
    So what you're saying is that you don't think we should have to take drug tests?

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  10. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    No. Too much regulation in this industry and life already. No need to give anymore power.

11. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Definitely agree with the drivers need to be clean out there doing this type of job. 100% with no excuses. However, I also know nightmare situations and scenarios can happen with these tests. Each and every time you subject yourself To these tests there’s about a 1.5% something could go wrong and you can get a false positive. It does happen. We’ve read about them here on this thread and I know people lie but when you run into a truck driver who’s 65 years old been driving and tested for 40 years, dudes like that don’t just wake up and decide one day to start doing drugs.

I also worry about people being indirectly exposed to drugs. Everybody in their cousins brother is doing marijuana now that it’s legal. Maybe you go to a friends house and you see some cookies or brownies sitting on the counter and you take a bite. Whoops, there was some weed in it and you didn’t know it. You’re screwed. THC comes in all types of forms now. Even these little oily pasty cubes. Vape oils, lotions, edibles, massage oils, etc etc etc….That if you even get it on your skin, it’ll soak right in and make you test positive. Drugs are everywhere now. You could easily be unknowingly exposed to enough to get a positive test.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.