Since autonomous trucks are gaining serious ground should I be looking for a new career?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by biddlydiddly, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    For the most part I agree. But imagine stuck in traffic on the highway. Rather than be stuck driving. Hit auto pilot and watch a movie.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    It honestly doesn't bother me at all.

Honestly we as humans need to have a purpose, a sense of accomplishment. Without it, we simply exist for the sake of existance. I'd much rather be driving in bumper to bumper traffic than watch a movie in a vehicle. I can do that in the comfort of my living room.

4. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    It's kinda ironic how they blame Trucks for malfunctions & Truckers for being tired ONLY in that video as if four wheelers never have an issue? Extremely bias towards truckers IMO especially when you can can simplyng go on YouTube and see 90% of videos of four wheelers speeding in front a semi, cutting in front, brake checking for no apparent reason what so ever etc. The ignorance towards the real issues are being swept under the rug so the agenda of autonomous truckers can be pushed.

Speed_Drums and scottied67 Thank this.
  5. Marbles

Marbles Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Airplanes have basically been flying themselves, or at least able to fly themselves, for over 30 years, including take offs and landings. The pilots are there just in case something goes wrong. It is one of the easiest jobs in the world, except when it's not.

We won't get paid pilot salaries because we don't have hundreds of souls on board and correcting a truck is easier than correcting a plane, but it will be many many decades before we aren't in the seat.

6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte

7. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Plane not a truck it can't stop in middle of a road

8. ParochialNimrod

ParochialNimrod Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2020
    Yeah the airplane comparison is really dumb. Being a pilot is also not an easy job. Driverless trucks will are going to be common in 10 years whether you believe it or not.

9. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    I rented a car last week 2021 kia. K5. Self driving, it stares at the painted lines and keeps the car in between. Construction not so good. It's a button to turn on and off. It's easy to get used to. I don't like the adaptive cruise. I like a bigger safety distance for following.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  10. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I see 55mph max speeds on autonomous trucks. to reduce issues.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.