Sleep Apnea Test Abated For Another Year...

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Scooter Jones, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Had my DOT physical done today. I only qualify for a 1 year card due to being on BP medication.

I was trepidatious because last year the PA at a local Urgent Care I used made an issue out sleep apnea. I meet 3 of the listed criteria they are now using to recommend/require a sleep apnea test. I'm aware the requirement isn't fully implemented yet, however, the examiner can at minimum give you a temporary 90 day card and require you to visit a primary care doctor for further inquiry.

Anyways, this year I went to the same clinic that my primary doctor is part of. They have an urgent care, occuhealth & primary care housed under one roof. My doctor decided not to re-enlist on the DOT medical examiner's registry two years ago, too much bull crap and not worth the hassle, according to him. So. I used the occuhealth wing this year.

The PA did the exam, signed off the card for another year and never even mentioned sleep apnea. When I questioned her about it, she told me because their clinic is part of the same medical facility she was able to pull my file from my personal physician and review it.

She said there was nothing in my doctor's file regarding sleep apnea and that put to rest any need for her to recommend a sleep test, even though on three levels, I met the requirements:
    1) Over 50
    2) On BP medicine
    3) Neck size

I will never again get my DOT physical done at any other business besides the one where my physician resides, even if I did pay $20 more than what the other local examiner charges.

A word to the wise, IF you meet any of the guidelines outlined by the FMCSA regarding sleep apnea, get your annual physical done by your own personal doctor. Make sure you go out of your way to assure him/her that you don't have any of the symptoms (if you don't) related to sleep apnea. Get it in your file and if you are required by a registered DOT medical examiner to have a sleep apnea test, get your own physician to write a letter of recommendation not requiring it.

Dharok, Chasingthesky, baha and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I had mine done by a DOT registered chiropractor. Of the people I know that have also used chiropractors, they all pretty much said the same thing, a chiropractor makes sure that you are medically fit to drive without all the nonsense. Most say they don't try to dig too deep into the apnea stuff unless it's blatantly obvious that you suffer from it, or that you say you have it on the questionnaire.

LoneCowboy Thanks this.
  4. ogre1977

ogre1977 Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Spudville, Idaho
    Seeing as how I always gain weight driving truck I have decided to mow lawns each summer and then drive truck in the winter.

I don't lIke my ability to earn money to be decided by some pinhead doctor or government beurocrat.

Klleetrucking Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.