Sliding tandems

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by NatureGirl22, Oct 5, 2014.

1. NatureGirl22

NatureGirl22 Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Not trying to be annoying, since I already posted this question in another section of the forum. I just need an answer REALLY QUICKLY. Can someone tell me how to determine where to put your tandems when sliding? Awkward question, so let me try to clarify. What I mean is this: when a load or axle is overweight, do you slide it forward or backward. Also, how do you determine how far forward or backward a tandem should be slid? How can you tell if an axle is overweight, and how far forward or backward you should have your tandems?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. Looking for someone to give clean, clear instructions on how to do this. Thanks everyone !

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    you slide towards the overweight
    if truck is 35000 and trailer is 32000
    you slide forward
    different manufactures have different spaces most are 250-300 ponds per hole

X-Country Thanks this.
  4. OutOfIdeas

OutOfIdeas Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2014
    You need a scale first of all, and then it depends which axle is overweight.

If drives are overweight, slide tandems forward (set trailer brakes only, release tandem pins, and reverse tractor to bring tandems forward)

If tandems are overweight, do the opposite. Set trailer brakes only, release tandem pins, pull tractor forward to move tandem s further back.

If you're overweight on your steers, and dont have a sliding 5th wheel I dont personally know what you can do other than get the shipper to adjust how the load is loaded.

Don't forget to consider fuel weight. Diesel ways about 8lbs per gallon, most tractors carry that equally between the steers and drives. So 100 gallons of fuel adds 400lbs each to steers and drives.

The Challenger and X-Country Thank this.
  5. Stew209

Stew209 Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Out in the Sticks
    If your overweight on the drives then slide the tandems forward and if heavy on the tandems slide the tandems back. Each hole can adjust the weights from 250-500lbs depending the trailer make and how the load was loaded.
    So if your 1000lbs over slide the axles 3 holes, re-weigh and adjust as needed.

Just make sure you have the correct kingpin length for the states you will be traveling through. So if your heading from Nebraska to California make sure to set at California length.

6. Cranky Yankee

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    every truck is different on how the fuel weight affects steers and drives
    if your 5th wheel is set up right all you need to worry about is gross and drives and trailer
    worrying about steers is rookie crap....just my $.02 that might be worth less

tsavory and Jaguar115 Thank this.
  7. OutOfIdeas

OutOfIdeas Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2014
    I think the other post said she didn't have a sliding 5th wheel, which I've never dealt with. I have my 5th wheel set where it never needs adjusted, but I didn't realize all trucks were different, just thought the 50/50 set up was fairly standard but I guess not.

8. NatureGirl22

Aug 15, 2014
    Our holes are 250 lbs./per hole. Can anyone tell me where to find out the axle weights for each axle in a Freightliner Eagle?

9. NatureGirl22

Aug 15, 2014
    That is correct. We just got a new tractor, and our boss told us that the fifth wheel on it does not slide.

10. Cranky Yankee

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    just equal your tandems and trailer out and be under 80000

you dont say where you are or where your going so a bridge law length is useless
    if your driving for a mega they are used to these questions
    seeing as the trainers must not cover it

11. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    No way to get axle weights without a scale.

What's a Freightliner Eagle?

magoo68 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.