Slim pickins for local jobs with little experience..

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by sventvkg, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you want the best fruits of the industry with none of the sacrifice, right?

I don't have any connections in this industry, and there was a time where I felt the same way you do. Then, I realized that there is a bonafide system for getting into the industry and if I wanted in, the door was wide open. I just had to do it their way because my way wasn't gonna get me there.

So, after hearing all the horror stories of being treated like garbage by dispatch, being laid out on multiple day layovers in timbuktu, dealing with the hazing, the being filmed by other veterans while attempting difficult backing manuevers at pitch black truckstops after a long 14 hour day with their hopes of youtube gold at my expense, etc etc on and on. I decided the question that remained was did I or did I not want in? Was I or was I not prepared to make the sacrifices required to get into the industry?

I dont think it's a bad thing that it works this way, quite the contrary. Like joining a fraternity, graduatibg from University, completing an apprenticeship, etc., there is work, sacrifice and character building that takes place and a sense of accomplishment from acheivement once one has made it to the other side.

My 2c

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old - School

Old - School Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Go to your local unemployment office. They always have a big list of jobs companies list with them.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I really think that many new drivers never did any research into the industry before jumping in. I did tons of research. My situation may be quite different from many drivers. I started in this industry almost 5 years ago at 56 years old. I had/ have a 10 year plan. Bust my rear end and save up as much money as possible for retirement. I found out very early on, the way to reach MY GOALS, was to drive OTR and "live" in the truck. I do not have a house or apartment and all of the bills that come with them. I stay out for 10-11 weeks at a stretch and go "home" for 10-14 days. I stay with family when I am there. That is what works for me and my bank account.

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    The Pepsi guy is correct about the physically demanding part. I used to work for Dr. Pepper/Snapple out of Nashville. I lost weight so quickly......speaking of which, did you try Dr. Pepper/Snapple Group? They are the distributors for 7up, RC, Tahitian Treat, Nehi peach and such......they are probably in the big cities, as they operated in Nashville, Memphis, and I want to say Knoxville in Tennessee. The Nashville warehouse had about 10 delivery drivers at the time I was working there. Only 3 had gone on the road since they've been CDL holders. Their pay system was a little different than Coke or Pepsi(flat rate per case delivered). Snapple had a sliding case rate based on what you had on your truck. 6 ok of Orange slice didn't pay much unless you had a bulk pallet of it. Fiji water on the other hand had higher value. I enjoyed it there, til I was fired lol.

sventvkg Thanks this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I was like you and did a lot of research too. I wrestled with it for a year plus before pulling the trigger. In fact, I got a state grant to pay for the majority of school. Part of that was having to do research about different schools and the works.

firemedic2816 and TequilaSunrise Thank this.
  8. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    You need to up your game. Add a cover letter and a resume with your application. In your cover you need to write a sincere reason why you quit your last job with no options. It's very expensive to train people and "quiters" are a hard pass for a lot of companies. You were a better bet straight out of trucking school.

Indicate that you were unable to continue with your previous job due to family commitments and being a local drivers is more suitable for your situation. You intend to be the best employee you can be to include being on time, available, and willing to assist in any way necessary.

When it comes to OTR you hope that a local position will avail itself and keep you busy for the next 5-10 years but you are open to overnight trips or bagging out. Be worth making the investment in training.

Don't whine about how your family needs you home and you up and quit your job. That makes you look weak and like you have no control over your career.

bryan21384 and firemedic2816 Thank this.
  9. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    One of the best answers . Op might as well go on and find a different career , I mean do some people think all truck drivers don't have people or responsibility at home that need them? Of course we do but we tough it out and make it work , you ever heard of military families and deployment ? Make a truck driver look like chump change. In this industry you have to pay your dues to get it right, alot of these rookies fail because of this "give me a job at old dominion because I can't handle anything rough". Gimme home daily 8 hours a day banker hours no weekends oh btw iv only got 2 weeks experience at cr england.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2021
    Reason for edit: Insult removed
  10. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I did a lot of research I’m 49 and I worked for myself as a successful musician who played everywhere in the world toured the world written songs have been covered by other artists and always made a nice living until the music industry was shut down, world wide, due to Covid. In fact I was making six figures so I was in the top 1/2 of 1% of all musicians worldwide and that’s why I can afford to be picky because I actually had some money in the bank. That’s dwindling quickly. I had a good plan and it was also to drive over the road and was also a 10 year plan but it turns out my touring days are over!!! That’s OK I toured for over 20 years. My trainer at Prime is in his sixth year of his 10 year plan living out of the truck and he has almost a half $1 million invested. It’s very doable especially if you’re single or it’s just a husband and wife team to get I’m very solid financial footing quickly if you do that.

as for the comment above about there being a sort of a farm system in this industry I think it’s ########. There’s no one way to slice the pie. Maybe if I were young that’s how I would come up in fact I know if I were young I would’ve driven off the road and lived out of my truck. The fact of the matter is every single trucking company that I’ve talk to every single one has a problem keeping good drivers probably because they don’t pay and also there’s a lack of work work ethic which I heard about right off the bat from Prime from my trainer who has trained 25 people and others. I am actually the perfect person to hire because I know what it’s like to work I’m older and I have work ethic. also for my age and perfectly clean license and the fact that I’ve driven commercially before my insurance is not as expensive as a young new driver. I know this because a car hauling company wanted to hire me and she ran my name and DMV through her insurance she said I was totally affordable. So again there’s definitely room in this industry. I think it’s a combination of a lot of things and one of them is the fact that I am in Florida and there’s a lot of people and companies can be choosy I guess I don’t know. Because there are thousands of jobs listed and 98% of them are pretty crappy pain and they want 1 to 3 years experience which is funny because I would never work for some of that money I’ve seen where they won a lot of experience.

11. sventvkg

Mar 5, 2017
    I interviewed with the Dr Pepper Snapple people. Last week.

austinmike and bryan21384 Thank this.
  12. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    Not All local jobs are that was I leave the house at 7 am take the MRS to work get to my truck by 7:30 most days I’m home by 3:30

sventvkg Thanks this.
  13. sventvkg

Mar 5, 2017
    Why did you bother even responding? You’re of no help. You’re just here to be antagonistic. I actually pity you. You must have a ####ty life.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2021
    Reason for edit: Quote deleted
  • Truckers Report Jobs