Small Brokerage

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Midwesterner_22, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Midwesterner_22

Midwesterner_22 Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2022
    Connecticut
    I recently started working as a freight agent for a small brokerage after spending 5 years OTR. I had to leave the road and work remote so I can spend time with family as there are medical issues involved. Being that I have worked with many brokers in the past, I know what I don't want to do. I want to treat every driver with respect, and get them the best rates possible because I know how many bs rates there are out there. Problem is, as soon as someone hears broker, they all scatter. Any advice for someone new to the game, who genuinely wants to do the right thing?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    It’s a tough time to get a contract, let alone from someone who hasn’t worked for you in the past. I solicit a few times week. Rarely do I get a hit. When I do, my rate isn’t competitive enough or I have under capacity. Just hang in there and keep at it. You’ll eventually get something. When you do it will be super cheap and a disaster. That’s why you got the opening. Do well, and more will come.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  4. Midwesterner_22

Midwesterner_22 Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2022
    Connecticut
    I agree. Definitely seems like the hardest part is getting your foot in the door. I can see why many brokers fail.

5. PPNLE

PPNLE Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Rough time to be starting. The overcapacity makes the sales harder, and you're having to differentiate yourself on price.

Best piece of free advice I can give: make sure you can sell and have a personality for it. I can teach you everything else. I can't teach personality.

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Work with another brokerage company like PT or something, sometimes they have freight in area and agents in that area, can be needing help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.