Small Fleet with Mercer

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by fivestar, Jun 9, 2017.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Glad to hear it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fivestar

fivestar Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2015
    It's been rough trying to get a small fleet going - it's so difficult to find drivers. I'm still looking after a solid two months.

I get that most people who want to drive for Mercer are true owner-operators and not small-fleet drivers but still...it's just like any other small company job. Sure, I could run my own authority but using a company like Mercer as my back-office provides me comfort knowing that I am fully compliant and all paperwork is handled correctly.

4. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    Interesting as I have been thinking about adding a few trucks here. For some reason I was under the impression that our recruiting dept. could help find qualified drivers. I may have misunderstood what I was told or read I'll have to look deeper into that aspect.

5. fivestar

Jun 10, 2015
    The recruiting department passively helps - meaning that if drivers without their own trucks apply to Mercer, they are given a list of Mercer fleet owners with empty trucks. It is then up to the driver to call the listed fleet owners and work something out. I have been on this list for the past two months but haven't had any bites yet. I've also been told that it's super slow in the recruiting department lately. Also, since Mercer is O/O oriented, I don't think many drivers without trucks apply to Mercer voluntarily.

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You shouldn't be expecting mercer to find you drivers. Its your business, not theirs.

7. fivestar

Jun 10, 2015
    That's what I've been doing. Just been tough. I've had a handful of applicants but most weren't able to qualify because of Mercer's strict regulations (not hating).

8. JL of Indiana

JL of Indiana Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Finding drivers is not all that hard. Finding good or even great drivers takes time and is a long process.

It's a tough deal because a sitting truck will kill your profits fleet wide, but a driver who tears stuff up and quits after 2 months doesn't make you any money either.

Key is to keep refining and tweaking your hiring process and with time you will become much better at knowing who may work and who won't. As far as sources to find drivers, that will become top secret to you as you find what works.

Here is some great advice: If a guy swears up and down to you that he does NOT drink, do drugs, nor chase women.... well it just means he does all three!

Good Luck.

fivestar Thanks this.
  9. J.S.

J.S. Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Texas
    My take is that I just started driving in 2015. At the time I didn't get a pre-hire coming out of school. Long story short you should get with cdl schools. There are thousands of them. Your a prospector. Go prospect talent! A fleet owner is no different than a sports agent. You gotta have something to offer these kids cuz somebody will undercut you but that's an agents matter too. Recruiters started on the street before they had phones computers. I want my avatar usage now! If you need clarity on what I've written just ask. I could need your help one day...or have a pard. Lol

fivestar Thanks this.
  10. fivestar

Jun 10, 2015
    I definitely agree; however, since we are leased on with Mercer, one of the minimum requirements is one year of OTR experience within the past three years. If I was independent, I would certainly get in touch with CDL schools.

11. fivestar

Jun 10, 2015
    Unfortunately, this is what's happening to us now!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.