Snackbar is chillin'....at Shaffer

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Oct 26, 2020.

1. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    the Walmart DC near us has their company drivers pulling flats hauling mulch, potting soil, etc to the stores. They all look new too

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    They started pulling those a few months ago. Mainly for mulch and whatnot

Lonesome and 650cat425 Thank this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Wow...knowing Walmart, I bet they have them preloaded and secured so the drivers don't have to get their pretty white shirts dirty.

5. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Another one of those days that test's your patience. Got to Wally in Gas City, dropped and hooked and thought...not a bad day (other than the godawful crosswinds that made me feel like I was in Wyoming). Picked up a nice, nearly new trailer and headed to my shipper. They have me on a Nestle load going to PA, then picking up a FL bound 2 stopper for Thursday. Get to shipper, sit in a 45 min line to check in only to find that my PU number has issues. And it took Shaffer another 45 min to answer me back about 'checking'...Lord knows I am trying to be patient, but there are days that make you want to wait tables or mop floors, as far away from trucking as possible.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  6. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Wouldn't that be weird if they sent you a msg that said STOP, and when you pulled over to read it, it continued "IN THE NAME OF LOVE!"

7. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    I’ve noticed them hauling their own outdoor stuff on a number of occasions of late, though this late in the season things might be dropping off and they’re just storing them.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  8. RoadCall

RoadCall Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Wow, shocked you broke your golden rule.

I’m hauling reefer too but all we do is go from Front Royal, Va to Reno, Nv. with paint. We take 80 in the Summer and 81 to 40 to US93 and US95 in the Winter.
    Then we deadhead into Cali and pick up fruit or veggies going back to the East Coast, rinse and repeat then a week off. No micro managing, route yourself and fuel at whatever Loves you want.
    That said, our equipment for solo drivers is crap, high mileage hand me downs from our teams, so I’m considering other options as well. If my current company ever gets new equipment for solos, they would be perfect, for me! Oh yeah, no cameras here and 72 mph trucks.

If I make a move, Barr Nunn is way up on my list, .58 a mile starting pay (w/hazmat) plus quarterly bonus money of another $1k which is easy to obtain and earns a paid day off at $220 a day. 2 weeks vacation first year. Lots of drop n hook and dry van.

Whoever said all megas are the same, is mistaken. I don’t care who owns Barr Nunn, Knight doesn’t pay anything like BN and neither does Swift. And as far as Abilene offering someone with my experience (28 yrs) .40 a mile to start, clearly they aren’t even in the same ballpark as most megas.

Good luck SB

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  9. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Turns out, I interpreted the cryptic directions to the shipper wrong. (Plus the wrong name in the load info). These lead me to the plant, when I was suppose to be at the cold storage around the corner. Load instructions said Nestle, but I was suppose to be at Interstate Cold Storage (that warehouses Nestle). Once I found the location I was suppose to be at, it was a drop and hook. Then of course, the temps on the bills didn't match the temps on the load info, so there was yet another delay getting that straightened out so my load call would go thru. After 20 or 30 min of back and forth with dispatch, I just said 'fix it, I am out of here' and just started heading towards my destination. Several messages later (that I couldn't hear on the Peoplenet because the "Play" still doesn't work) I finally stopped at the Knightstown Love's to scale out and see what they wanted. Finally sent in my load call that the system would accept. Then tried to scan in the encyclopedia size pack of bills from my Gas City delivery...only to have the #### T'flow scanner jam...not once, but 4 times. I gave up on that. I normally use the sluggish Crete app which has Transflow built in, but anything over 10 pages, I use a truckstop. This one had 25 pages. Then, I hit a long construction backup on 70 between Knightstown and Richmond. I made it to the Love's in Richmond, backed into a spot, and called it a day. God do I miss open deck.

10. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Do they actual have you scan ALL pages in!? Even on the otr crete side when I had Walmart deliveries we were told to scan all pages but I said ## that and just scanned the stamped/signed page and called it a day. Never had a pay issue or a msg saying to send in the rest but I always keep my bills on the truck for 6 months just encase they send a, "customer is refusing to pay us, can you send in the rest of the bills? Or we will have to deduct that pay." msg.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  11. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    The loads out of the warehouse in Atlanta all have individual B/L from the place the freight originated (usually the west coast and NW Canada), then all grouped together under one master B/L from the cold storage. You have to sign each individual B/L, and the master, along with the cover sheet that has the temperature requirement on it. That way, each of the various shippers gets paid for their portion of the delivery (plus pays their portion of the shipping costs). In orientation, they say you can scan in the master and the pages that the receiver signed (or stickered if it's Walmart), then stick the rest of the bills in a trip envelope and mail them in, but I don't trust the USPS that much. With my luck, they'd get lost and then I would get this payroll deduction because I didn't return the paperwork. So I just scan it in. I am sure I'll hear about it though. The last time I scanned in that type of load, I got a message days later about how expensive truckstop scanning is...yada yada...they will claim it costs a bunch, but funny, they don't have a problem with data charges when sending you 50 or so unnecessary Peoplenet nag messages every friggin week

Jarhed1964 and Lonesome Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.