Snackbar is chillin'....at Shaffer

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Oct 26, 2020.

1. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    I've only been with one OTR company and they didn't pay for truck washes (like at a Blue Beacon or something) but they did have truck washes at the terminals. At times I went 6 months without seeing the terminal. I refused to spend my own money to get the outside of the cab cleaned. I kept the inside immaculate and for the outside I made sure to scrub the passenger and drivers side doors off every once in a while with the window squeegees (yeah sue me lol) so that I didn't get my hands or jacket dirty during the winter time opening and shutting the doors.

Other than that I didn't care how dirty the outside got. As long as the inside of the cab, in my living space, was nice and clean, I was good. I'm not going to spend money keeping their equipment clean when it doesn't affect me or affect safety.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Recaps are fine but resets, at least once per month, is nice when you stay out for 4 weeks or more at a time. They need to be respected when a driver asks for one if the driver isn't being unreasonable about it like taking multiple resets per week or something.

I've never understood companies taking a hardline stance against a reset, if they're being taken within reason, like in TravR's case. All that results in is a driver burning up the 70 hour clock on purpose to force a reset, which will often times inconvenience the company and whatever load the driver was on. Whereas a planned and thought out 34 reset when the driver starts to get burned out can be beneficial to both parties.

I think this type of problem often times comes into play when dispatchers have never driven a truck before. I also think many dispatchers have never worked more than 6 days in a row in their entire lives so they don't get how burned out you can get when you go weeks or even months without a break. They don't understand that to save themselves a penny they will cost themselves a dollar if the driver wants to force the 34 hour reset.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  4. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Nope

5. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Going on 3 weeks straight with no reset. Getting good miles. Currently unloading on this 1800 mile load and if they are quick will have just enough hours to make my next live pick up that goes 1000 miles.

They also have been pushing my recaps to the limit. The loads I've been on require a minimum of 500 miles a day to make the tight delivery window.

Like the next run picks up today and delivers on wendsday but I'll be out of hours when I make it to the pick up, so really 2 days with me just scraping by on delivery day to deliver.

Been having to pc away from shippers almost every load. Record was having to drive 80 miles past my clock to find parking when I delivered to California. Which I then had to tcall that loaf cause I was going to be shy just 30 minutes on my hours to make it to customer.

All I known is the shaffer side has kept me moving a lot more than the crete side. Just to many live loads/unloads.

Also I don't worry about those priority loads. They already know I can't get a 10 hour in before pickup window. One of them was due for pickup just 3 hours after I was done at my deli wry so I found the, get a 10 hour break in msg, quite funny :rolleyes:

Still made on-time delivery but barely.

6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I suspect it's all about the benjamin's, as @Gearjammin' Penguin eluded to. I think it has something to do with idle time, especially during the summer. If you're on recap, they invision you running, at least some, during the day when it's hotter, and sleeping when the sun is down, when the opti-idle will cycle less. On a 34, if your truck is like mine, it spends a lot of the day when it's hotter, on continuous mode...which drives up their fuel bill. Since our May raise, I have had 1 reset on the road.

As far as those 'priority loads' that they want you to spend the night at the customer so you have a full day...meeehhhhhhh. Run it like you normally run it...in my book, EVERY load is a priority load if it has a set appointment, and most of those 'high priority' loads I have been on, dropped within a window and the receiver unloaded them at their convience, usually the next day. The only exception was that Columbus to KC load that they had to live unload because someone needed an empty, and they came down from the KC terminal and snagged the one that was there.

it's possible, but more of a PITA, especially with parking the way it is...we did it years ago before there was ever anything called a 34....but I can run more miles per month, and run like I like to after a reset,...it isn't a myth...earlier I had 4000+ mile 8 day log period when I had that other Junk-liner, but had I not done a reset, I would have been about 100+ miles short of making my delivery and having to reschedule for the next day if I were on recap.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  7. newbietrucker91

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Next week's check is looking good. Did the math and I'll be right at 3000 miles on Wednesday. Based on my recaps might be stuck on a few short runs right after. On my 8 day chart, I have 3 days where I get between 4-6 hours each day then it picks up where I get 10-12 hours each day.

Also i have a question...either every shaffer trailer has abs issues or it's my truck. Cause on every trailer I've pulled whenever I hit my brakes my trailer abs comes on. If I do it when at a stop, it sounds like the whole trailer abs system is restarting cause it makes those little clicking sounds. Not a huge issue if it's my truck, cause I'll get it looked at on my next B services but them clicking sounds be driving me mad when driving in the city.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  8. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    since it's every trailer, it's definitely your truck. Go into your fusebox and check the trailer ABS fuse, (diagram is in the door of the box), mine was blown on this truck when I first got it....if it isn't that it's your pigtail

9. newbietrucker91

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Just learned that there is a big defect on 2019 - 2021 cascadia's that came out of a certain plant in Mexico. Something about possibly losing control while going down the road. Loose joint on steering arm. Wonder that factory our trucks come from.

Screenshot_20210920-170212_YouTube.jpg

TravR1, Lonesome and dwells40 Thank this.
  10. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Look at the sticker on driver side window…if their is a sticker resembling the state of North Carolina then your truck came out of the Cleveland nc plant otherwise its the Mexico plant.

TravR1 and newbietrucker91 Thank this.
  11. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I tried to watch the Asian Mai video about this, but this part of populated TX has crap cell service for my carrier.(good signal, but slow speed)...I guess that plant forgot the phrase righty tighty-lefty loosey...it should say on the drivers door frame...my sticker says country of origin - USA...but my NC sticker must have been removed because I don't have one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.