Snackbar is chillin'....at Shaffer

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Onadetour

Onadetour Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Bay and Creek
    In the end, buying your own truck might be the better answer.

Speed_Drums and Deadwood Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    I never get beeps for following distance even when I hold the accelerator down when 40 ft behind someone who cut me off lol.

Maybe mine has a different os setting cause if I hold the accelerator down it also won't trigger the lane departure beep as well.

4. Itsbrokeagain

Itsbrokeagain Light Load Member

May 31, 2019
    That's not a bad idea. SSB what's kept you from having your own rig and leasing on to a carrier?

5. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    In one of his former posts he spoke about working for Landstar. Don’t know if it was a fleese or he owned the truck. That might be his only option to drive what wants instead of a turd liner with another crap fest mega carrier. If he has to gross over 70K and have decent insurance that maybe his only option. I’ve been a company driver for 40 yrs and have always worked for a private fleet. Make 80K and out 5 days a week. But yes drive a turd liner but no nanny bs like he talks about.

6. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    This isn’t a crazy idea. Why did you leave Landstar before SSB?

7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    the only thing holding down the throttle does for mine is keep it from slamming on the brakes or downshifting 2 gears and hard jaking. It still beeps at anything under 250-275 feet if you even think about touching the throttle.

can't afford it...with what most carriers pay their so-called O/O's that lease their truck on to them, I net better money than most, especially if there are regular breakdowns because I get paid breakdown pay and put in a motel plus the Uber ride...and if it's a long repair time, I either get a loaner to drive or a different truck. As an owner, you get zippo. Plus health insurance isn't getting any cheaper, if it's even an option to a flease operator
    I was leased to Landstar, they only lease on O/O's who have their own truck, no flease purchase/rental option unless it's one of their agents that has their own trucks as well, and they rent/lease trucks to employees that drive for them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    650cat425 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  8. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Percentage pay and freight rates tanked right after I moved over from Silver Eagle/Arnold (right after 9/11).

650cat425 Thanks this.
  9. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Does Dynamic transit hire down there? They make .55 cpm to start if you just have a hazmat. Could easily make 75-90k a year with how much you stay out. And they have health insurance that has to be on par cost wise as the other big companies. Plus you’d be in a 10 speed without all of the nanny cam nonsense.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  10. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    He’d be better off to stay put. Jumping jobs this quick will hurt him in the long run.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  11. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I could probably get away with changing to a new job when I explain to them why I have to leave... I've been thru 4 trucks in under 3 months.

650cat425 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.