Snow may vanish for years at a time in Mountain West with climate warming

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by chrisdab, Dec 4, 2021.

1. chrisdab

chrisdab Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2021
    Link to article.

Lots of dire talk about water reservoirs, would be a good thing for trucking though.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Prior to being a driver, I was a cartographer for the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. I've been watching water resources dwindle in the Western U.S. for 20 years. It's gonna get bad in my opinion. It definitely doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what's coming. Problem is, too few are paying any attention.

4. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    Our winters seem to be getting colder the past decade, and some massive snow falls.
    I'm not worried about any lack of snow in the mountains.
    Went riding again in the Torpy area last winter, just as I have every winter for 15 years.
    The snow gauge up there measures snow pack, but only to 30' deep. The snow gauge we stop and look at every trip was getting buried more and more every trip we made, until it just wasn't visible any longer. I dug down to it on our last trip up, it was about a 9' deep hole to get to the top.
    We seem to have more and more flooding yearly.
    Great friends of ours bought a lake cabin about 30 years ago, and the lake is getting deeper the last decade, not shallower.
    So while a few areas maybe getting dryer, other are getting wetter.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    Dino soar, Oxbow, bzinger and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  6. RoadSideDown

RoadSideDown Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2021
    Water table levels have been plummeting for decades due to irrigation for industrial scale farming. Long before talk of global warming.

Historically periods of global warming have always been good for humanity: more crops, more usable land, more commerce. Whoever set the expectation that the climate should stay the same anyway? It has varied a lot with growing and receding glaciers. We are technically still in an ice age, so hope for warmth! More cold would be much less fun for humanity.

7. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    California draining the delta and running the water out in the ocean. States in a drought and Sacramento River running bank full as well as other River right out in the ocean.

Let’s not forget the idiots who live in desert southwest that want grass and thousands of golf courses and other such wastes of water. Going to get interesting

CowboyTim, Moon_beam, bzinger and 3 others Thank this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Bottom line, Al ( Gore) told you this would happen. Pump decades of pollutants into the air, what do you expect? Hasn't rained in central Co. for months, and nothing in the near future. I'm not sure it's a "Global Warming" thing, more like past trends in weather, what IS happening, is only the strongest systems drop any moisture, and that has all been going north. Panic in Detroit, people,, ski resorts, that should be up and running by Dec.1st, are freaking out, but hey, you put all your eggs in a business governed by the weather, you may as well be a farmer. I'm not worried about water, living at the base of the "14ers", and on the Arkansas River, but I read, the Colorado River, which supplies most of the SW , is like 70% down from previous years, that shortage translates into much more than these Cal. crybabies taking their 2 showers a day, it means loss of crops, businesses that use water, like the dope industry( that uses an incredible amount of fresh water, btw), with all that's going on,,,and now this,,,who wants ginger snaps?

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Because nature NEVER emits toxic gasses into the air. Everything coming out of La Palma the last month or 2 was just rainbows and unicorn farts.

10. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    We all know know that nature constantly changes with the blowing of the winds. The mountain ranges formimg on fault lines. Great lakes. Grand Canyon from millions of years ago all prove that. However we are supposed to ignore that and think it has all been caused by evil mankind and modernization in the last 120 years.

It’s been in the low 80’s down here all week and looking at tempurature records there were a few 90 degree days recorded at this time back in the 1890’s when everyone was still living in the dark ages. Lol!

Trucker61016, Oxbow, nredfor88 and 2 others Thank this.
  11. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Also to add if if all these scientist’s are so smart on pinning down the cause on humankind they should be genius enough to know how to mass produce home made water in factories so there is never a shortage. Real scientists back in the dark ages figured out what elements water was made from without computers and algorithms.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.