So disappointed with Rand McNally

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Midnightrider909, Jun 29, 2019.

1. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    Is it not about time for them to release a new 600$ unit?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    The way i did mine ,becuse rand left me in the dark ,but all i did was take my 5 volt headset charger or any 5 volt that will plug in the rand 730 tnd ,fire it up till go white ,which means it dosnt have enuff power to run it , replug your old power chord made for rand 730tnd ,fire back up and should show correct time and date worked for me ,course mines 5 years old so i wasnt worries about frying or not. I was looking to get new one anyway but now its working like new again , so u do this at your own risk tho.

tscottme and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  4. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    while they make great maps the navigation gps is dumb sometimes rather it's them or a non-trucker GPS like google they both have issues lag normally the main concern, weather all kinds other issues but they both equal in that you shouldn't have 100% faith in it. that's like me playing the lotto having faith that I will win years later still playing in hopes to one day win but knowing full well I am just wasting money.

5. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    I have checked all my chargers and found they are all 5V but some at low AMP and as the RM unit needs 5V and 2AMPs to work properly you are saying that by using one with maybe 750 Ma it may reset the internal clock of the unit due to lack of power.It's definitely an interesting idea almost like re-flashing a Cmos chip on a computer. I will give it a go as I have one old one here.
    Anyways thanks for the info, now lets see if it works LOL.

Everett Thanks this.
  6. truckpc

truckpc Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2010
    from other group::

Rand McNally Support Thread. (Part 3)

###############
    the same code Should fix 530 GPS issue too as i guess, i renames the link as

Dropbox - 730_530_GPS_fix - Simplify your life

please give it a try on 530/730

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  7. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    Works for me discoverd by accident.

8. southbaydad

southbaydad Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona
    I have had 4 different 7nits over 10 years now my 740 does the same thing. Plus other problems.
    Always thinks it’s the year 2099 which throws off all the times. Now it won’t calculate routes, use to do construction updates but stopped doing that. And the screen goes blank intermittently.
    I called them a few months ago and they said the Satelite’s in space that the rand uses quit working???
    I called them on July 5th but got the endless hold. Left a message still haven’t heard back it’s now August.
    The one that quit working before this I was told I had to buy a newer version to eliminate the problems.
    I like the features but going to probably look into buying a different brand “tool”.

9. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    My 730 finally died so I bought Garmin. I still am learning on how to use it. Rand doesn’t care about their customers so they lost me.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I told you so

11. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Yeah but the Garmin’s display doesn’t show as much info as the Rand. It also doesn’t display all the truck stops, rest areas, and weigh stations.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.