So if the economy slumps...

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by kaybea, Jan 13, 2019.

1. kaybea

kaybea Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Will more drivers consider trying to do food service? I might enjoy this job a little more if we weren't so short of drivers.

Over the holidays I was working the crappiest schedule ever. Going into places at bad times just so the dc would be closed on Christmas, and stuff like that. I watched a little CNBC when I got a chance, and they were talking about a slowdown. I thought they were joking.

Anyway, if a slump does come along, anyone think drivers will consider food service? I think this gig is sort of recession proof.

Rideandrepair and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Only for short spurts. i'd rather go back to OTR than food if longer than 6 months.

4. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    The problem with food is that everybody's ONLY concerned with the food. No one gives a plop about the driver.

There's definitely ways to make it MUCH easier and more efficient for the driver. Moving floors, slipsheets, better handtrucks etc.

i'm surprised that 3rd party outsource companies haven't taken over the food distribution/delivery part of the food business.

Rideandrepair and road_runner Thank this.
  5. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Let it slump. I’ll still be doing what I do.

I doubt you see a mad rush to fill those seats by experienced and financially stable drivers.

6. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    I'll only go back to throwing cases if im on the verge of homelessness.

Also, depends on the pay I wouldnt two wheel bags of flour for anything below 48k. If I'm making less than that I'll just get two menial jobs in air conditioning.

7. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    good money management is recession proof

8. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Fixed it for you;)

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Nah. Ive done enough of that to stay away from it. Let it slump. It's not the first time.

Back in the 80's we had some trouble in the commodities market one day and our dispatcher said we aint hauling anything for a couple of days, take the time off paid. Eventually the prices stabilized and we were back to loading shingle and so on. The customers have to be persuaded that it will cost more to have the same product and pass it on to the home builders, who passed THAT on to the buyers. That's you, you and you.

10. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Nope... enjoying OTR way too much.

11. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    I live in a southern tax free state so my income requirements are modest :p

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.