So if the economy slumps...

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by kaybea, Jan 13, 2019.

1. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    But at least you don't have a heating oil bill, or a huge natural gas bill in the winter. Come up to where native Floridians live in the northern part of the state...we regurlarly see high 20's at night during the winter and 50's for highs off and on all winter long. And our leaves change and fall off too.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Don’t worry no one wants your Job. It’s safe for a reason. I did it for a few more years than I wanted to. The old adage about recession proof is highly overated. All Trucking Jobs are pretty much recession proof. Food service is underpaid for what’s involved. There’s a whole other world out there. If that’s all you’ve ever known.

4. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Those temps are very tempting.

5. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    Even food service is hurting right now, my company, sysco, us foods etc and this is in the 2nd largest populated place in the us. Already had about 4 or 5 new guys quit at my place because they're not getting any hours. I've never seen it this slow in my 6plus years in food service trucking

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  6. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    January and February are historically always slow for us but come March when the IRS makes everyone "rich" it always comes back. We have had quite a few high seniority guys leave the past two years so I dont have to worry about my route being cut anymore which is a good thing.

Fuelinmyveins and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    There’s always a trailer load going down there to my town. Definitely a good thing. :)

Cardfan89 Thanks this.
  8. Cardfan89

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    Just got the call to volunteer to stay home.... nope. Sucks for the bottom guy but I was there 5 years ago working 3 days a week.

9. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Might be a location wise thing. But as often as these guys are in need of drivers, I always seem to get passed over for some possibly, already local, candidate. US Foods, Sysco, Ben E Keith, McLane. Seems like very few places are willing to take chances on those of us that are "willing to relocate" and would rather us already be there.
    Of course that's a definite catch-22. Go through all the physical/mental duress of a move, deal with the ugliness of a new place you'll have to call home, and then find that all the work has dried up.

10. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    i think all amusement parks should have foodservice worker days----where anyone that does foodservice and their families get in for free----because foodservice IS the most physically difficult job on the planet bar none.

There may be more dangerous-er jobs around, but none more physically demanding.

11. Cardfan89

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    My brotherinlaw drives a shingle truck and that is something I dont want a single part of.... slinging shingles off a truck on roofs for about 5 bucks less an hour than i make na I'm good

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.