So I'm going flatbed

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by csw1818, Jan 21, 2016.

1. csw1818

csw1818 Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    Im a lease at prime (it was a bad idea I know let's put that aside) I was running reefer (still am currently) and coming into the industry I wanted to do a year reefer to learn to drive the truck, well year reefer is up and now it's time for my flatbed adventure. I will be back in Springfield on the 24th for repairs and get a headache rack put on and a two day securment class then will be out on my on. Now I know freight this time of the year is bad but it's a great time to teach my self securment since there is a learning curve.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Welcome to the dark side

4. csw1818

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    I'm waiting for the, "do you really want to go flatbed, do you really want to deal with frozen tarps, do you really want to play in the snow?" Replies.

5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    2016-01-20 17.34.18.jpg

Doesn't matter, the view in your side mirrors never gets old. And yes that's my truck

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  6. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Hell yes! Beats slamming doors!

7. csw1818

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    I'm thinking more along the lines of its better then sitting at a receiver for 10 hours to get 20 pallets off the trailer. Better yet NO MORE WALMARTS or wakefern, general mills, c and s the list goes on and on and on and on. Not that waiting is a problem my last 3 loads delivered at 0100, 0415, and this one is at 0900. Those are irritating especially when you mostly drive days

8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    If you don't like 0 dark thirty loads... stay away from Home Depot loads. Most flat loads are scheduled between 0100 and 0700.

baha and Canned Spam Thank this.
  9. csw1818

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    it's not a Problem I just require more them 3 hours of sleep

10. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    First, I started at CRE.i agree winter is a good time to learn the ropes as long as you.have money put aside. Moving from a mega can be hard. But your not moving. You are just starting over. I say that because reefer and flat loads are soooo deferent. Now I went from reefer to flat. But I didn't do it as a company driver. That might be hard.

Coming from a mega? It will happen. But we can educate and maybe help out. Seems few are willing to help people out anymore. Why? I was new not all that long ago. I didn't start in the 70s, everyone reading this was new at some point.

I'll stop for now

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Those responses will come after the doorslammers are finished getting porked by lumpers. Anyways, when they start, tell them that if you want anymore pain and humiliation, you will sign up for yoga. No more acting like a playboy bunny at grocery warehouses for you.

Prime has direct customers. So freight wise you will be fine as long as you stay where there is freight. They will have some places where you will be able to get a load every day of the week. Learn where these places are and you will make money, even doing a lease on a mileage contract. Now, my question is, what are you going to do at the end of your lease? You are essentially paying for a job. No offense meant by that, but I'd really like to know your next step. Buy that truck? Turn it in and lease another truck? The reason why I am asking is because it is incredibly difficult to 'pay for a job' and buy a truck.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.