So sick of not making a living wage!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Whatagal, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Whatagal

Whatagal Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2020
    North Texas
    Great! Where do I go to check into that? Is it like a regular student loan that you had to pay back?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    KLLM always seems to have first class equipment. I would try there too. Stevens has nice trucks but I think they are strangled down to 64.

4. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Dave isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Lack of mask.......

thaistick and thelushlarry Thank this.
  5. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    You need to look into company sponsored training. You’ll be guaranteed a job upon completion. Most places are free if you stay there a year and some even pay you back if you stay there 2 years.

6. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    What is a living wage ?!
    Its very different number for all people and regions !

7. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    @Whatagal
    1)
    If you don't want to drive in the snow, perhaps you could move further south and get a local job down there. However, you would, most likely, be solo.

2) Also, you may be able to qualify for federal or state grants to go to a technical school or community college, to learn a trade. You are still young enough to do that.

Good luck to you. God bless you and your family.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  8. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    A living wage, in my book, is something where you have money left over after everything is paid every week. If you get your paycheck and immediately your broke due to bills and still have bills piled up then your not making a living wage.

Coffey and truckguy391 Thank this.
  9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Might want to look at Schneider. They just took over a Walmart DC from another company. This guy worked for other company and still doing the same job but with Schneider now. The Walmart DC is in Cleburne TX day cab job home every day or night. He was make crazy money with other companies but still stayed on he says for less pay but guess it still a good deal.

Opus and Truckermania Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Did you apply to those 3 companies I posted? Submit the online application on the websites.
    All 3 provide motel room and meals.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  11. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

DARKNIGHTRUCKER Light Load Member

May 3, 2020
    You want to be local but be a team driver?? I thought companies specifically used teams to go really long distances.

I can't imagine too many mega carriers letting you start out reigonal or local you might have to do some digging for that.

A lot of them don't pay all that great out of the gate either. Unless you can get with a company that's taking your previous driving experience into account .

Best thing to do is pay for your own trucking school to get your CDL . Then find a company that has the absolute best offer for you.

Alot of people (including me) sign on with a mega carriers for a year in exchange for mega paying the for trucking school . Usually a bad deal and you're usually stuck in otr for a year making cruddy money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.